Pelvic Pain Support Network
9,485 members3,025 posts

Severe pelvic pain 2 weeks before period and bad dysmenorrhoea during period

My name is Leigh and I am 31 years old. I have always suffered with period pain,but it's been getting more intense the last few years. At times its so bad,that I can't even stand up straight. I have been to post and pillar to yry and get help,but my GP won't take me serious. The first time I told him about it,he reckoned I had an STI. Tests came out negative. When I went back again,he told me I had an UTI and was going to send me on my merry way with Paracetamol. I had a temper tantrum nd finally got them to sent me for a scan. This came upvwith nothing and this seems to have closed the case for my GP. I can't take the pain anymore ad don't know where to turn. I am desperate for help.

8 Replies

So sorry to hear how you have been treated -sounds like my own experience 30 yrs ago.This sounds like endometriosis most definitely.It could also be adenomyosis.Neither will show up in a scan.Was it an ultrasound scan,an Mri or CT scan you had?The only way to diagnose endometriois is by a laparoscopy.Depending on the type of scan you had,you can be reassured that there are no solid masses - eg tumours or cysts which is why they scan you.However endo cant be seen on scans unless it has formed a large lesion.

Can you change your GP or go to another in the practice?If not you must insist that you are sent to see a gynaecologist . If you are at the end of tether with the pain -go to A and E,call out of hours Doctor.They may just give you stronger pain relief and send you home but they may admit you.If you are admitted,all tests are done quickly and they will then refer you to a gynae.This is a quickwer way than your GP referring you.

There is a great forum on health unlocked -endo uk.Click communities on the green bar and check letter E and then you can join it.I am a regular and there is wonderful advice and support there.Google endometriosis and adenomyosis and see if your symptoms match.

Sending you a big hug and hope we can support you through this and get you properly diagnosed.


I have chronic pelvic pain for two years which was at its worst during menstruation. I would scream and cry. Def try to find out the cause but mention to your gyn a birth control progestin only pill. I only get my period about three or for times a year and its not as bad.I had no side effects. I'm 35 years old and have two kids already.


Thank you for your replies. I am trying to be seen by the gyn,but my Gp refused to transfer me to the gynaecologist. He comes up with all these excuses as to why I don't need to see one. When I first mentioned about my ovaries hurting, he asked me whether I even knew where they are? I just feel really lonely and like there is no one wanting to help me.


Can you change Gp or see another in the practice?Can you take someone along for moral support -often if you have another person the Dr will be more helpful.Insist that you get more tests done to find out the cause of the pain,as extreme pain is not normal,despite what some GpS will try to tell you.It is your right to have the cause of your pain looked into - if STI and scans testsing have not turned up anything,then the doctor needs to keep on looking.It sound very like endo and/or adenomyosis.I would be tempted to put in an official complaint to your Gp - his comments sound grossly unprofessional.

Can you afford a private consultation? Many on the endo forum have in desperation gone private and gone on to have diagnoses.Even if you can afford an initiall consultation,you can get the tests and treatments on the NHS.

If all else fails please call out of hours Gp,go to A and E .Paracetamol is virtually not worth taking for endo and many of us ladies are on heavy duty opiates and still in agony. With endo and adenomyosis,the sooner there is a diagnosis the better -in terms of pain control, quality of life and fertility.It is an incurable disease but can be controlled with surgeries,d rugs.Please do not let this Gp bully you,as if you cant stand up straight(like myself) there is something that needs investigating.

Please know that you are not alone -on here and on the endo Ukf orum there are there are hundreds like you.Unfortunately some of us have had poor treatment and have had to fight for our diagnosis and treatments,but it makes us all the more determined to help others get a better deal.

Sending you a big hug.


Hi Leigh,

I would suggest you print off the following information and take it to your GP. It is evidence based and has the Information Standard Certification and logo.

If you still don't get anywhere, you should complain to the local PALS service in writing.

Let us know how you get on and Good luck


Your symptoms are typical of endometriosis and adenomyosis. I'm not saying you have, but the symptoms are exactly like endometriosis.

People who have adenomyosis have much pain during menstruation because they are bleeding into the muscle of the uterus - that causes a lot of pain;

symptoms of endometriosis are pain before, during and/or after menstruation (the pain is similar to menstrual cramps). In endometriosis people have replicas of endometrial tissue located outside the uterus. These replicas menstruate too.

The pain usually decreases or disappears when not menstruating. That's why one of the therapeutic that is used for endometriosis, is to take the pill without stopping (no pause) to suspend menstruation. Try to do that (ask your GO).

Suspects that a person may have adenomyosis when the uterus is enlarged. Endometriosis is difficult to diagnose. Usually can only be diagnosed by specialists. Regular gynecologists always say that is "ovulation pain" or that the "pain is normal" because sometimes is nothing on the ultrasound.

In most cases in an ultrasound can not appear. The best test is the MRI and then videolaparoscopy.


Hi Leigh31, I am so sorry that you are gong through this. I have to ask you if you have any children? I went through about 5 doctors before I got a diagnosis. The doctor I have now, I love her. She only treats women who have some kind of pelvic pain. I am 36 now but at 25, I had a hysterectomy. That decision I regret every day of my life. My pelvic pain is really bad. I had about 5 surgeries in 4 months. Now, all of the nerves in my pelvis are trapped so it's just constant pain, all day every day. It never goes away. It's a reminder of the hell I have been through. You have the right to a doctor who will take you serious. As women we know our bodies. My tolerance for pain is crazy high. I cannot let it define who I am...I have pain, pain does not have me. I live my life because that is just What I choose to do. I fall apart at times but I always pick myself up, brush it off and move on. I have a 12 in a half year old daughter and I live for her. I get my strength from her. She is healthy and beautiful and at the end of the day that's all that matters. I hope you find the answer to your questions and prayers.

God bless you,



Hi Gezobella. Thank you for your reply. I don't have children yet, but actually want one. I am so worried I might not be able to have any. I have registered with a new doctor, hoping he'll help me out a little more. Currently due on any day and in a great deal of pain. :(


You may also like...