PBC Foundation
7,411 members6,302 posts

PBC and gastric sleeve bypass

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with PBC five years ago. I have struggled with my weight my whole life and now I find it more difficult to enjoy hiking and biking the way I used to.

I’m contemplating have the gastric sleeve bypass to help me loose weight and hopefully keep it off.

I’m wondering if any of you PBC ‘ers have had gastric surgery? If so, what has been your experience? I go to Mayo GI Clinic yearly and will make an appointment with Mayo Weight loss center but I’m hoping for real life stories.

Thanks

Mo

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Hi

I haven’t had it done but did talk to my consultant about it. He said that it would be ok to do so but needed to go through my GP.

Hopefully when I get an appointment with my GP I will get more information to see if I still want it done.

Ju

1 like

I have had a discussion with a bariatric surgeon. She said it was possible but better to see if I could manage without because of absorption issues with PBC, specially with vitamin d etc. I’m giving it a year and then will have further discussions depending on how I’m doing with diet and exercise.

1 like

Ok. Good luck to you. Hope the next year is successful for you!

Keep in touch. Best wishes, it’s not an easy decision.

Hi, I had the sleeve done last year August was approved from my GI doctor battery of test done,please to say I'm doing great 123 lbs down never felt better. I have pbc for over 5 years.... Best of luck to you

1 like

Thanks and congrats to you!

Im having it done early nxt year, ive been going to the clinic for 10 months now and have lost the 5% of my body weight that they asked for, good luck with yours, i will post when ive had it done.....

1 like

Thanks! Good luck. Keep me posted

1 like

You may also like...