Here are my reasons on day 26.
1.My teeth- very shallow but my dentist told me in February-"if you continue to smoke, you will lose your teeth". I made her say it 3 times and I can hear it still. False teeth just do not appeal. I have had an almost permanent abscess for a year. This is my third time of stopping this year, and I am going to stay stopped this time.
2. Fear of horrible self-inflicted illnesses. I have had palpitations, numbness in my hands and feet. I have a lump in the back of my throat. There are so many types of cancer and smoking makes all of them more likely.
3. Fear of horrible self-inflicted premature death. I am 51 and I like my life. I want a long and healthy retirement.
4. Self-loathing- I hate myself for smoking, and I think a lot of smokers do. I'm a good person. I want to like myself!.
5. The bloody drag of it all. The tedious business of planning how to maximise my smoking as inobtrusively as possible.
6.Smoking cigarettes was my no.1 priority-work, husband kids friends,fun werent even in the race. So wrong.
7. The Smell- so nasty, why bother washing and cleaning and then create that stink. I didnt know just how smelly my dogs are though- But I have lots more energy for cleaning and I dont resent wasting my precious smoking time on cleaning any more. I like it
8. The embarrassment- if someone came to my house, if I had to give a lift in my car, if I saw someone when doing it, If someone came close right afterwards.
9. The money- I spent years saying that I didnt mind the cost and I could afford it. I was wrong- in 3 1/2 weeks I have saved 250 pounds- not just on cigarettes, but because I stopped buying incidentals. It's fantastic, even if I lost my job we could manage, and I suddenly see that we can do fabulous things together.
10.Hallo World. I feel reborn.