Macrocytosis and daily water recommended

I have had PV for 5 years, male 53 years old , treated with hydroxycarbamide, now I have Macrocytosis , corpuscular volume (MCV) of around than 100 femtolitres my hem recomended 5mg folic acid daily.

Has somebody this problem ? How influence?What treatment ? etc.

Other question How much water is recommended to drink per day ?

Any comments please.

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Can you tell me more about what Macrocytosis is? I must confess I have never heard of it. I have had PV for one year,treated with Hydroxycarbamide and I aim to drink 4 litres of water per day. When I don't drink enough I do not feel so well. I am struggling to understand why, when my blood is showing satisfactory readings on all counts I still feel very unwell sometimes.

• Macrocytosis is a term used to describe red blood cells that are larger than normal. It typically causes no signs or symptoms and is usually detected incidentally on routine blood tests.

Macrocytosis isn't a specific disease, but it may indicate an underlying problem that requires medical evaluation. Common causes of macrocytosis include:

Alcoholism

A side effect of certain medications, such as Hydroxicarbamide

etc.

Anyway the water is very good for this .

What symptoms do you have?

Why you drink 4l of water?

Is not to much?

Have you side efect due drinking water?

keep in touch

• I have seen normal MCV quoted as between 80 - 99. If that is correct then yours is just over the limit. I have checked my most recent result and mine is 135 and nobody seems particularly concerned about it as it is a side effect of taking Hydroxy - which I've been on for 18 years+. I have post ET MF now. 4 litres of water a day seems an awful lot. Did you ask your haem what the folic acid was going to do for you? Whenever a doctor recommends another drug to me I always ask what it will do for me and why he/she is recommending it. If you are worried, go back to your haem and ask questions. Hope that helps.

• Folic acid, known as folate in its natural form, is one of the B-group vitamins.

Folate has several important functions. For example, it:

works together with vitamin B12 to form healthy red blood cells .

Normally you found this in greens and diminuate volume to red cell at good level.

• Hi, I am with crazydaisy on the water: the more i drink the better i feel.

You may also like...