Hydrea and kidney problems

I have Poycythemia vera, diagnosed five years ago, initially treated with phlebotomy alone. For two years I have been taking Hydrea also, and now discover from creatinine clearance rate that I have moderate renal insufficiency. I see this is a possible side-effect of Hydrea: should I stop taking it? It doesn't control my haematocrit, for which I have phlebotomy, currently a well-controlled 44%, and also take Aspirin daily, so am not sure how important the Hydrea is for me. If I can do without it, I think I should. I will discuss with my haematologist next month, but am inclined to gradually reduce the dose to nil to see what is effect it has on my blood analysis. Any views?

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Lucieboo, you should not stop or decrease your Hydroxycarbamide until you discuss it fully with your haematologist. Maz

• Thank you, Maz.

• No way - it reduces the red blood cell count and the possibility of blood clots - if you are not having phlebotomies you need Hydrea - do as your haemo says- mild kidney damage might be better than a stroke or fatal heart attack!!!!!

• No way - it reduces the red blood cell count and the possibility of blood clots - if you are not having phlebotomies you need Hydrea - do as your haemo says- mild kidney damage might be better than a stroke or fatal heart attack!!!!!

• Not without consultation! It controls platelet production as well. Good luck with the haematologist.

• Hi luciboo seems you already should have the message from the replies you had but in any case, I understand your concerns, I hate the thought of taking the Hydrox but if it helps keep you alive what's the options? Stick with it, you'll be okay x

You may also like...