Where have my feelings gone?

I was diagnosed with depression and bipolar over a year ago. One of my recurring symptoms is loss of emotion. I feel fake happy and I can't seem to get angry about anything, even when I should. This happens frequently and I haven't yet found a strategy that works to help. I always end up waiting it out. I was wondering if any of you have experienced this and, if so, what you do to get yourself back to feeling normal.

Thanks!

Skip

Featured Content

Notice: Moderation has changed!

We are thrilled to welcome The Shaw Mind Foundation to the community!

Learn more

Featured by HealthUnlocked

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think 2 days or 3 days was the longest i felt num to any emotion(thats when the cutting started)

But it the depressed feeling resumed after that then few months after that had a somewhat decent 3 montha and a bit

• Our brains have self preservation systems, just as our bodies do. Numbing of emotions could be your psyche telling you a break is desperately needed. Now is a good time to take very good care of yourself. Try to relax and be healthy.

• Hi Alice was thinking about you today, how are things going? I hope your holding up. I know you must be hurting but long term you will feel much better, been there done that, and I never regretted it.

Hannah

• Been on crying jags all day. Feels different though, more cathartic. I hope I don't have freaky dreams tonight.

• Hi Fey nice to meet you and welcome to the site. You will find a wealth of support and advice here from our lovely members.

Can I ask you to familiar yourself with the rules of the site please if you haven't already. Thank you. x

• Hello Fey, how are your meds? maybe your levels need tweeking, you could go back and see your Psychiatrist. I am Bipolar and when trying to get medication and levels right I had times when my emotions felt numb too. With Bipolar you must be careful not to overload yourself, can you take a brak from your studies for a bit? High stress levels are not good for us with Bipolar, it can send us into a spiral down or up, take care.

• Thanks for the advice! I will mention that to my psychiatrist when I see her next.

• Hi, Buy 'The Book of Joy' a book by Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu and Douglas Abrams. My dad gave it to me as quite enlightening and peaceful. So i'm passing on the message.

You may also like...