Balanitis: Hi know this has been brought... - Men's Health Forum

Men's Health Forum
18,963 members3,539 posts

Balanitis

Ajones2143
Ajones2143
25 Replies

Hi know this has been brought up a lot just thought I’d start a new forum for ideas/suggestions from others again.. 35 yr old frustrated guy. I’ve had it for about 2 months. Started with red mark on end on penis glans. Gets pretty irritated easily. Done everything I think possible from washing with warm water using epaderm instead of shower gel. Masturbated the other night which killed and really aggravated it so eased off that. Been given clotrimozole fluconozole trimethoprim taken these for two weeks but nothing has resolved!! Been reading a lot of forums and come across one about using Listerine mouthwash to soak the end of the penis in. Anyone else tried this? Thanks

25 Replies
oldestnewest
Cutguy

I had Balanitis I used topical lamacil and hydrocortisone but it kept coming back. I don’t know about using listerine but that sounds a bit odd to me and I would t do it.

Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to Cutguy

Thanks for the reply. I thought it sounded an odd theory but was willing to try anything. Might ask doctor about those two methods you tried. Does yours go then come back months later or not go at all?

Cutguy
Cutguy
in reply to Ajones2143

It would go away for a while but eventually come back. Over the last couple of years it came more often and lasted longer each time. Finally I got fed up with dealing with it and doing the topical treatments that weren’t working so I saw a urologist for a circ consult. He said that I could use stronger prescription stuff but it would keep coming back. He said best option was a circumcision, which I ended up doing, because it was a permanent solution.

2 likes
Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to Cutguy

Good to hear mate.. read a lot of comments of guys doing this and mostly read positive results from after doing it.. so as a last resort I will consider it. How long have you been cut for? Has it cured completely now? So many questions but I guess that’s what these forums are useful for.

Cutguy
Cutguy
in reply to Ajones2143

I got cut 2 months ago. It’s all healed up; just have a bit of swelling that will take a while to go down. The balantis went away right away!

Jon1206
Jon1206
in reply to Cutguy

How long ago did you do the circumcision and has it come back since? I also saw urologist who suggested to get it done

1 like
Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to Jon1206

Hi jon1206. Has your symptoms gone or are you still looking into being cut to solve it?

Jon1206
Jon1206
in reply to Ajones2143

I’ve been dealing with it about 2 years it comes and goes, mainly right foerskin and red spotty rash on head

Cutguy
Cutguy
in reply to Jon1206

8 weeks ago and the balantis went away and hasn’t come back

Jon1206
Jon1206
in reply to Cutguy

Thanks I’m leaning into doing it

Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to Jon1206

Me too! Will see how things go at the doctors maybe try a few other things first before going down that road. How old are you cutguy? When can you start using it as normal again as in having sex?

Cutguy
Cutguy
in reply to Ajones2143

I’m 40. I haven’t had sex yet but I got cleared by the doc. Masturbation and bjs are great

Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to Cutguy

Good to hear pal!! Good luck..

Marions87

Balanitis is a total nightmare , even if it goes away it will come back and most of times often , end the nightmare forever with circumcision , do not use alcohol based stuff on your penis or tip , you could get chemical urethritis .

That means inflamed urethra and you will have balanitis and discharges too .

1 like
Ajones2143

Will avoid the Listerine then. Getting cut looks like the most positive result at present. I have a doctors appointment Monday so will see what he suggests. Cheers

Osidge
OsidgeAmbassador

Noticed all the comments of circumcision being the final cure for balanitis. It is not. Although balanitis is more common in uncircumcised men, circumcised men can get it as well!!

Here is some good info that might help:

health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/b...

SadWilly
SadWilly
in reply to Osidge

I had a foreskin restoration. Never had balanitis, wonder if I can get it now with my fake foreskin

Osidge
OsidgeAmbassador
in reply to SadWilly

You can get it with or without a foreskin (or a facsimile foreskin)

Bucky85
Bucky85
in reply to SadWilly

Foreskins, including restored foreskins, are protective and helpful in preventing balanitis. Circumcision is not an appropriate treatment for balanitis.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl...

en.intactiwiki.org/index.ph...

Evenso

Dealt with this off and on from a teenager, 18mths since circumcision and thankfully that part of life is over and my only wish is that it had been sorted earlier than my 54yrs now. Tried every cream/lotion available over the years, circ is an extreme solution but its the only one that I know that will take it away completely.

Osidge
OsidgeAmbassador
in reply to Evenso

It does not put an end to balanitis in all cases. Although it is less common, circumcised men can get balanitis!

1 like
nfor

Sometimes chronic balanitis is a complication of diabetes. See a go and discuss this and get tested for this condition.

Ajones2143
Ajones2143
in reply to nfor

I did read about diabetes being related to Balanitis. Will ask the question tomorrow when at the doctors. Thanks

Bucky85

Here is the article on balanitis:

en.intactiwiki.org/index.ph...

Properdoc

I cannot see much of a skin change with that penis.

You may also like...