LUPUS UK
21,173 members16,760 posts

Heating

I dont have a diagnosis yet but its suspected that I have lupus (first appointment with the hospital in just over a week).. but my question today..

We finally put our oil radiator/heater on tonight as its gotten really chilly and I've been having problems with my fingers and toes getting really cold/white, but the heat is making my eyes so so dry and sore.. I dont remember having these problems last year. Could they be a lupus related thing?

Thank you for reading :)

4 Replies
oldestnewest

The dry eyes I'm not sure about, but your fingers sound like you might be developing Raynaud's . Tell them about it at your appointment. My one very clear diagnosis is Secondary Raynaud's.

Hi Shaddix29,

The symptom you are describing sounds like ‘Raynaud’s phenomenon’; have you discussed this with your doctor?

In people who have Raynaud’s, the small blood vessels in the extremities are over-sensitive to changes in temperature. This causes a Raynaud’s attack where the fingers sometimes change colour (but not always) from white, to blue, to red. Sometimes the fingers may become painful or have a tingling sensation during the event. Symptoms of a Raynaud’s attack can last from a few minutes to several hours. We published a blog article on ‘Coping with Raynaud’s Phenomenon’ which you can read here: lupusuk.org.uk/coping-with-...

Around a third of people with lupus have some sort of eye related matter such as ‘dry eyes’. We published a factsheet on ‘LUPUS: The Mouth, Nose and Eyes’ which I hope will be of help to you: lupusuk.org.uk/wp-content/u...

Please keep us updated, all the best.

1 like

Hello,

I have SLE lupus and secondary sjogrens syndrome which causes dry eyes and nose. The heating effects my eyes quite badly, just thought that I would pass on my tip, I find that radiator diffusers filled with water really help, just make sure you keep them topped up. In the short term damp towel placed over the radiator or a bowl of water in a hot room might help.

Get a humidifier. I can't survive the winter without one. Also, keep eye drops in all rooms

You may also like...