2nd degree burn with Lupus & Sjogren's: Hello. I... - LUPUS UK


27,008 members23,091 posts

2nd degree burn with Lupus & Sjogren's


Hello. I have Lupus and Sjogren's and got a large 2nd degree burn on my lower back from my heating pad that I use constantly for my low back pain due to arthritis and herniated discs. I can't find any information on the internet about how my diseases may affect my burn, its healing, and infection. I'm on Plaquenil, Methotrexate, and prednisone. It's been 5 days and it's not getting any better. I know healing will take longer, but I don't know what to expect. I've been following all the advice about wound treatment, but I'm worried about infection and how everything else will come into play. Does anyone have any advice that has had a similar situation? I live in the U.S. and don't have any health insurance at the moment because my husband recently lost his job or else I would have already gone to the doctor. I don't even know what kind of doctor I would need to see with all I have going on. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you,


7 Replies

Hi for your condition you need to see a rheumatologist they deal with lupus and sjogrens if you can't see a dr maybe you could go to a pharmacy and speak to someone about your burn and get something over the counter or maybe you could see someone at a walk in clinic I am Canadian but now live in Uk and health care and prescriptions are free thank god. I think your best bet is a walk in clinic and see a dr you don't want the infection to spread. Hope this helps take care 😊

Hi cara , you must be in alot of pain . I have sjogrens and my white cell count has been low even before I started treatment which can effect how you fight infections so be careful with infection control measures. Vitamin A&C and zinc can boost healing so you could take supplements. Do you have any friends who are nurses who could advise or as 1573 said go and talk to the pharmacist. Best wishes and i hope you heal up quickly xxx

Hi, I live in the UK, however, I agree you need a rheumatologist for your Lupus and Sjorgrens. For burns a general physician can deal with it but if it is bad or poor to heal a plastic surgeon. This sounds dramatic but they don't only do reconstruction but also skin healing. If your are unable to access they due to your financial situation, I agree about the walk in clinics. It needs to be seen and although a pharmacist can advise it needs to be seen. Good luck.

CRYSTAL11 in reply to johare

Hi Hogarth

I agree with the others. Go see the pharmacist. They can tell you about infection and what type of dressings to use as there are specific dressings for burns which helps it heal quickly

Try this clear gel (you can find it in local drugstores like CVS, Walgreens, etc but also at Target). It's called: Alocane Maximum Strength Emergency Burn Gel. Runs about $7.99 for a tube.

It's amazing! It contains 4% lidocaine to help with the pain. It also contains Brazillian aloe to cool down the skin and vitamin E to help healing process.


I have lupus and Sjogrens. You will heal just fine from this.

Also, eat FRESH pineapple. It will help reduce inflammation.

Aloe is good for burns if you have or can get a piece of the plant. Cut a piece and you use the sap inside the leaf for burns.


I had a very bad burn from boiling water a few months ago and have the same as you. I live in UK so lucky to have healthcare. What they did do was clean the area that is burned with a saline solution of some kind dried it and put new dressings on every 2 days. I was not allowed to get the area wet until the top layer of skin was peeled away that was about 2 weeks after. Then once you start to itch, you know you're beginning to heal. Ok it took longer because of SLE but just make sure you keep it clean and dry. It took about a month in all to heal and see the second layer of skin but was ok in the end.

Hope that helps

Kezzie ☺

You may also like...