The funny side of lupus

It's not often I see the funny side of lupus but I had to laugh in M&S today. I currently have a wedding dress that I bought earlier in the year before my meds were changed which now doesn't fit because I've gained weight as a side effect. So I thought I'd try on a firm control support slip thing to see if it'll help. No problem getting into it but it was definitely VERY firm control so I decided it wasn't suitable and then realised I had to get it off ... uh oh.

My shoulder and arm are playing me up today so I tried to lift it over my head and realised I didn't have the strength to pull it up as it was so elasticated. No problem I thought - it's loose enough in the straps I'll slip my arms out and step out of it instead. Except the flipping thing then rolled up and became like a boa constrictor!!

So there's me stuck in a changing room in m&s in a bra, a pair of jeans and a really strong control thing stuck round my middle slowly squeezing the breath out of me! I had so little strength trying to pull the thing off my muscles were shaking from fatigue - it took me 5 minutes to get out of it!! It then took another 5 minutes for me to sit down and try to recover where I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Then I started imagining describing this to the tribunal at my PIP appeal and couldn't stop laughing. It's a lupus problem I couldn't possibly have imagined πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

13 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ GRRRRREAT stuff πŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸŒŸπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ YAY mifford!!!!!

• Thank you for making my morning, I could envisage you in that changing room. I have been there quite a few times myself. Trying on something and not being able to gt it off. Good luck with your PIP tribunal, I am preparing for mine at the moment. Just a thought, I remembered just now , many years ago they brought out a rubberised panty girdle, M&S sold them in early 60s you had to put talc in them to get them on and pray they came off at night . Now you know why I had a wee laugh at your story. Take care

• I was stuck between absolute panic and being unable to stop laughing - I'm adding talc to my list of emergency lupus supplies to carry with me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• I had the same thing happen. No one told me not to put it over my head and I became totally ensnarled and had to call for a lady clerk. Fortunately, one was near by and when she saw me broke into laughter and then I started laughing which attracted attention; being rather exposed we had to hold the curtain so it wouldn't open which made us laugh even harder. Meanwhile this underwear had turned into a large elastic thing resembling a boa constrictor. They need to part a warning on such items!

• They should! I had no idea i shouldn't out it on over my head! By the time I'd wrestled with that I had no energy or strength left so no wonder. All I can say is thank god it wasn't after the wedding trying to get it off with nobody but a drunk husband to help πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Oh thank you for the laugh! I nearly choked on my cuppa, then thought my waters were breaking and I'm not even pregnant πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ thank you for that fabulous image! Trouble is I think we've all been there, and such a panic! I'm glad you were able to escape without any serious injury or damage, and with your dignity intact because no one saw!!!!!!!!

• Love it xxxx

• Many sympathies, I know exactly where you're coming from! Its a good job we can laugh at ourselves. Hope youve found a solution and wish you a lovely wedding day x

• Thyroid tests this week to see if that's causing the weight gain and still waiting for other half's divorce to come through so we can book a date (they've been seperated 23 years and it's taking almost as long for the paperwork!). It was a good offer down to just over Β£200 earlier in the year so if I still can't get in it by the time we have a date I'll sell it and go looking again - I might lose some money but should recover most of it as it's a lovely dress :)

• I had a similar experience when I tried on a pair of skinny jeans, I eventually had to ask help from a fellow customer who then summoned sales assistant,. I had to lie on floor while they each took a leg of jeans and pulled ...Success! Friend of mine even worse when she tried on a wet suit - will just let you use your imagination on this one....

• πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I've done the stuck in jeans things but not to that degree

• Sometimes you just have to see the funny side ..There's humour in everything!

You may also like...