Hello I need some advice on dvt

I have some questions to ask. About 10 months ago I was diagnosed with dvt I took medicines for 3 months and I was clear from it. Now I went to doctor as my leg was a bit swollen gp sent me to hospital to do x-ray and a blood test. My blood test was fine but they saw something on x ray and they told that I got dvt again. Is it possible for blood test to be normal and scan to show that there is. Just I didn't trust the doctor who was doing scan for me.

10 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi and welcome, where are you located? Does anybody in your family past or present have autoimmune disease including Thyroid? Or history of blood clots - heart attacks or strokes at an early age and perhaps with women miscarriages?

In any case it does depend what blood tests are done, the D Dimer can sometimes be inaccurate, However you could ask your GP/or doctor at the hospital to do these three tests::

1. Anticardiolipin Antibodies (aCL)

2. Lupus Anticoagulant (LA) ** (but will not be accurate if you are on Warfarin)

3. Beta2GP1

I hope this helps. The second test is not a test for Lupus, it is a test for Hughes Syndrome/APS.

MaryF

• Hello thank you for your reply. No nobody in the history has dvt or early stroke or anything. No nothing like that. I developed dvt after having my 3 child. With other two I didn't had anything.

• Ok, not everybody has a family history, I really suggest you get tested, with the above 3 tests as soon as possible, and come back to us if we can help you. MaryF

• Did the doctor also do an ultrasound for this, current, suspected DVT?

• Doctor done scan. It did show that there is dvt. But I didn't trust doctor who done scan for me.

• It is possible for the blood to be ok but to show on ultrasound

• But really if they didn't do scan for me and trusted a blood test I would not know that I got it.

• Sad, but true!

• Fortunately he made sure😌

• I'm happy that they did it and checked it proporly. But my leg in not that much as a first time I had it and not that much swollen. As doctor said that I got quite big blood clot.

You may also like...