Vitamin D

After my recent evaluation, my Rheumy's office called and told me I was low in Vitamin D and suggested I begin supplementation. Is the Vitamin D thing something new that they are seeing with APS/Lupus? Just curious. I thought it was incidental, but after wandering around here on the site for a few minutes, I see there are other concerns about vitamin D.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I think there is generally a concern about low Vit D full stop!! They (medics) are suddenly realising that there is more to the Vit D thing than they realised. At a molecular level it affects so many things. There is a study that has just been released which I have attached below that has reported the affects with APS and its been known for some time how important it is to anyone on Thyroid medication.

I think there is a lot more we will hear on Vit D because it is not a vitamin but a hormone.

Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 Jan;70(1):145-50. Epub 2010 Oct 27.

Vitamin D: an instrumental factor in the anti-

phospholipid syndrome by inhibition of tissue factor

expression.

Agmon-Levin N, Blank M, Zandman-Goddard G, Orbach H, Meroni PL, Tincani A, Doria A, Cervera R, Miesbach W, Stojanovich L, Barak V, Porat-Katz BS, Amital H, Shoenfeld Y.

The Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases and Department of Medicine B, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel.

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) is a systemic autoimmune disease characterised by thrombosis, obstetric complications and the presence of anti-phospholipid antibodies such as anti-ß2GPI-Abs. These antibodies may set off the coagulation cascade via several mechanisms, including the induction of tissue factor (TF) expression. Vitamin D has recently emerged as an immunomodulator that might exert an anti-thrombotic effect. Therefore, we studied serum vitamin D levels in a cohort of APS patients, as well as the effect of vitamin D in an in vitro model of APS-mediated thrombosis.

METHODS: Serum vitamin D levels were measured in 179 European APS patients and 141 healthy controls using the LIAISON chemiluminescent immunoassay, and the levels were evaluated in conjunction with a wide spectrum of clinical manifestations. In an vitro model, anti-ß2GPI antibodies were purified from four patients with APS to evaluate the expression of TF in activated starved human umbilical vein endothelial cells. The effect of vitamin D (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, 10 nm) on anti-ß2GPI-Abs mediated TF expression was analysed by immunoblot.

RESULTS: Vitamin D deficiency (serum level =15 ng/ml) was documented in 49.5% of our APS patients versus 30% of controls (p<0.001) and was significantly correlated with thrombosis (58% vs 42%; p<0.05), neurological and ophthalmic manifestations, pulmonary hypertension, livedo reticularis and skin ulcerations. In vitro vitamin D inhibited the expression of TF induced by anti- ß2GPI-antibodies.

CONCLUSIONS: Vitamin D deficiency is common among APS patients and is associated with clinically defined thrombotic events. Vitamin D inhibits anti- ß2GPI-mediated TF expression in vitro. Thus, vitamin D deficiency might be associated with decreased inhibition of TF expression and increased coagulation in APS. Evaluation of vitamin D status and vitamin D supplementation in APS patients should be considered.

PMID: 20980705 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• That was interesting reading. I take calceous prescribe by my GP which are vitamin d and calcium but I was told that I am given them as I am on a premament low dose of steriod and that it thins the bones, so they give me the calceous for the calcium?

• Thanks for this HP very intresting and Wojo yes low Vit D is a comon issues especiall with people with Hughes etc.

Paddy

• Hi

Seems to be quite a few hughies have vit D deficiency, it also seems pretty common in lupus n fibro. Great info HP, thanks hon.

Take care gentle hugs love Sheena xxxxxx :-) :-) :-)

• Thanks for this interesting information

• I have been told a lot of people(not just aps, lupus etc) have vit D problems. Kids were given suppliments as a dail matter of course and now all of that has stopped(guess who by) these deficiences are rearing their ugly heads.

You may also like...