Healthy Eating
37,050 members โ€ข 6,037 posts

Vegan, quinoa and chilli loaf ๐ŸŒถ

Good evening folks, well here's what I had for tea tonight and after the fabulous spreads from others, it is what it is.

I made a pledge to Zest that I would cook a vegetarian meal that I've never cooked before so did a vegan loaf.

I cooked quinoa, split yellow lentils with whole chia seeds, at the same time I sautรฉed red onion, chilli and sweet peppers then when everything was cooked I mixed it all together and added some coconut flour and coconut milk until it made the right consistency then I spread it in a 2lb greased loaf tin, cut some baby plum tomatoes in half and put those on top with pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds. (sesame seeds are a very good natural source of calcium) Then I baked it and roasted potatoes for approx 50mins. I had it with veggies and cavolo Nero cut in strips in gravy . (I thicken the gravy with a little quinoa flour mixed in cold water then add to the boiling veg)

I am very pleased with how it turned out as it was an experiment ๐Ÿ˜Š it will be really nice cold in slices or reheated.

20 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Wow, Jerry! This is a great way to use quinoa. I will have to find some extra time to do this either before or after the holiday season. Love the picture, too! Keep it up.

2 likes

Hey thanks and I agree quinoa is great ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

One of my favorite things to eat!

1 like

Wow! Jerry this looks fantastic, it's another one for my recipe box : >

3 likes

Thank you Debs ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

Hi Jerry,

You have excelled in your pledge, that Quinoa & Chili Loaf meal looks so good! Very versatile that you can enjoy it cold in slices or reheated as well - I'm glad it turned out well - and well done on your experimentation. Beautifully presented as well, and I like your accompanying vegetables and the lovey potatoes too. I bet it was delicious!

Zest :-)

1 like

Thank you Zest, youโ€™ve done some of your pledges ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿณ and this is mine and I look forward to seeing your veggie dish...

Jerry ๐Ÿ˜Š

2 likes

Hi Jerry,

I thought I'd completed all my pledges? The veggie dish I did was on the same day that I made the Roasted tomato soup, as I then used some of that soup in a sauce to make a casserole and had some vegetarian sausages within that. I posted a photo of the entire day's food, as that also fulfilled my pledge to eat Veggie food that day.

But I am going to be looking out for another Veggie recipe to try - one from a proper recipe book this time, rather than a 'made-up' attempt. So I will be sure to post that later in the week.

Zest :-)

2 likes

Hey youโ€™re right,so Iโ€™m sorry about that, wevโ€™e had so many great dishes recently, your casserole looked really good.

Jerry ๐Ÿ˜Š

2 likes

Thanks very much, and we can both enjoy the fact we completed our pledges. Yay to us! :-)

1 like

looks really good, i saw for frist time quinoa on Saturday in a suppermarket that imports westen foods, i think they where asking over 10 pounds for a 500gram packet. how much would you pay for it ?

i have a family friend that works there maybe they can buy with a discount โ˜บ

2 likes

Hi March and thank you, now how much I pay for quinoa depends on whether I buy 300g from the supermarket for >ยฃ2.50 But I'd pay more for organic and red quinoa.

Quinoa is an ancient grain (seed) that was widely eaten by the Inca warriors as it is a complete food in that it contains all the vital amino acids that our bodies need.

So I hope that you find a cheaper source.

Jerry ๐Ÿ˜Š

That sounds delicious. How do you keep nut/veg oves together? Mine always crumble in the middle.

Hi Fab-jem and thank you, I will tell you how I made it, I boiled the quinoa chia seeds and split lentils and at the same time I sautรฉed chilli onion and peppers in a deep sided pan, when it was all cooked, I tipped the chia, quinoa and lentils into the other pan and I added a couple of spoons of coconut flour and it needed more coconut milk than I thought it would to make it look the same as if you were making bread stuffing. Then when it was mixed thoroughly I spread it into a loaf tin and baked. So I used the pan as a mixing bowl.

Because chia seeds absorb 10x their volume in water and coconut flour is also very absorbent it is a very light mix compared to a nut roast and the coconut milk and coconut flour binds it all together. Today I can cut into slices effortlessly.

I hope this helps,

Jerry ๐Ÿ˜Š

2 likes

Thanks Jerry I will try this ๐Ÿ˜€. Jem

1 like

That looks amazing, Jerry!

Roasties, too! ๐Ÿ˜€

2 likes

Thanks Mel, the roasties...well I had the oven on ๐Ÿ˜Š

That looks really lovely Jerry and well done on your veggie meal. I could just eat a slice cold now. :)

Alicia :)

2 likes

Thanks Alicia, I did enjoy it...

Jerry ๐Ÿ˜Š

Excellent, I love veggie food, much better than meat for me. :)

Alicia

2 likes

You may also like...