Familial hypercholesterolaemia

Hi, my hubby has just been diagnosed with Familial hypercholesterolaemia, its hereditary, so we are having a massive lifestyle change. I have been trying to find something that will cure his sweet tooth, I have found a vegan recipie for cinnamon buns not containing eggs etc, but it does contain coconut oil, there seems to be a lot of different studies as to if this is bad or good for high cholesterol. I am going slightly blind reading all the info, does anyone else have this and can shed some light for me please. Thank you Hayley

Skip

Featured Content

Get tips and advice on eating healthy

Develop healthier eating habits & get more active. Our community helps to keep you on track.

Get started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you talked with your husband's doctor for the recipe ideas?

• Of course but this is didnt come into it at the time so i just wondered if anyone else knew before we had a chance speak with the GP again

• I'm sorry I can't help you as I have no knowledge of the condition but would expect your gp to offer help from a dietician. 😕

I hope somebody else can help. ☺

Best wishes

• I make Bara Brith a Welsh tea bread, just fruit soaked overnight, flour and I use lots of spices. Instead of egg use one tablespoon chia seed mixed with water until they thicken, actually makes a moister cake than egg. Dates are good to eat especially Medjul ones. Look at Forks over Knives website for lots of recipes and help.

• I have recently been diagnosed with the same condition and GP insisted statins and the Mediterranean Diet was the way to go. She said diet alone doesn't work, but I am not convinced!

• Thats exactly what we have been told, statins and Med Diet, I have read that peopole have come off the statins but we will have to see. Good luck.

You may also like...