BMI for women different from men?

Honestly I've never paid too much attention to BMI (more focused on the number on the scale) but I'm trying to take a more holistic approach to my health by getting a bigger picture, and now I'm reading that BMI for women differs from men (http://blog.homebistro.com/bmi-chart-for-women-why-you-should-care-about-your-body-mass-index). What do you think about BMI? Is it a good indicator of health?

Skip

Featured Content

Follow the community

Discuss all aspects of nutrition, from specific foods to recipes and more. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits.

Get Started

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I suppose like all things there has to be guidelines, but having been overweight all my adult life (and late childhood) getting below a BMI of 25 seems extremely difficult 😕 I am currently hovering around 29 and hoping to get down a little further but am looking at the bigger picture, quality of food, exercise etc. Also, my waist has always been large, when I was in my early twenties I got down to around 8 stone (by virtually starving myself) and a size 10-12 but still had a waist of 29".

As an adult I am taking responsibility for my health, eating properly, enjoying the process of being healthier and fitter but refuse to stress about these "numbers" 😊

• I dont think BMI is a good indicator of health, take for example a bodybuilder, because of the extra muscle this person carries it can mean that for his height/weight he would be classed as obese. BMI was produced years ago for life insurance companies who could look at charts of height/weight and base the chance of the person dying early

You may also like...