Information about Bladder Cancer

I was diagnosed with pTaG3 (i.e. aggressive cancer, but only in the first layer) with evidence of CIS (aggressive pre-cancer cells that lie flat on the surface) in January 2014.  I had two TURBTs to start with, and then BCG treatments since.  All bar one of the biopsies taken following each set of BCG treatments have been clear, with a very small amount of CIS in one.   Unfortunately the disease and treatments have combined to significantly reduce the size of my bladder, and I may not be able to continue with the last year of BCG.  I will have regular monitoring through urine cytology tests and cystoscopies, and hope the cancer and CIS don't recur.

I found the following publications online, which you may find useful:

UK Guidance for the treatment of bladder cancer:

European Association of Urology guidance for the treatment of non-muscle invasive and muscle invasive bladder cancer:

Guys & St Thomas Hospital leaflet regarding maintenance BCG:

There are two UK websites for further information and support:

6 Replies

• Sounds similar to me Chris, have you had the 'recommend bladder out' conversation with anybody yet?

• Yes, after a small amount of CIS was found in one biopsy, but I was transferred to another consultant who would have done the op and he said he couldn't justify removing the bladder & prostate for such a small amount of CIS that had been removed anyway.  I'm due a follow op meeting soon, following the last inspection op & biopsies, so I'm sure we'll discuss it then. You know that a cystectomy is the best way to be permanently cured, but the loss of the bladder and prostate is such a heavy price. Think I will be lucky to avoid a cystectomy happening at some point though.

• I am with Southampton University Hospital and have requested a cystectomy in July. I don't want this cancer coming back in another form (prostate,bowel or bladder). I would rather have a stoma and bag and cancer free. I have the consultant interview in May (with results of my forthcoming rigid cystoscopy. 

• I can understand your decision. I am thinking about whether I've got to the point where I should do the same.

• My decision was made when I talked to the cystoscopy nurse who carried out my chemotherapy treatment. These nurses are a host of information concerning urological problems. She made up my mind for me and gave me all the details about the operation and afterwards. 

Good luck mate and stay healthy

• Good luck yourself.

You may also like...