Hi Gang. Do any off you keep losing your voice and have pain in your throat. But not a cold type of sore throat?

I have had this on and off for years and seen many ologists and doctors. Nobody could find what was wrong with me. Then I was diagnosed with fibro and everybody that was it as we have muscles in our throat. All I get told is to rest my throat and don't talk. Ihave now been struggling for nearly a week with only a whisper sometimes cutting out completely This has gone on for weeks before. It's embarrassing and makes me feel vulnerable when I'm out and a out. Plus it makes me more exhausted The effect i have to put in to talk Does any body else have this problem

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • ive suffered for years with a hourse and sore throat, nothiong became of it then. now im told its part of my illness, amoungst all the others.

• Thank you nikki. I causes me loads of problems. Phone rings and I look at it as to say 'yes and what am I suppose to do with that'. People keep telling not to talk to rest my throat so don't talk to me a long time. And inside I screaming "stop telling to shut up when I can hardly speak I know it is the best thing to do as one doctor told "if you hurt a muscle in your leg you have rest it so rest the muscles in your throat and Don't Talk. It's so frustrating

• Dry, sore, croaky throats are very common with Fibromyalgia and also people who have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and Lupus can also be affected in this way.

I also experience a tight throat feeling first thing in the morning when I wake up. Sometimes it affects my swallowing, which returns to normal after two cups of tea. I usually have to eat my breakfast when my throat has settled down. If I'm particularly throaty in the morning I have a Complan shake for breakfast which is easy to swallow. :)

• have you seen an ENT? I have an auto-immune disorder [as well as fm] and this affects my voice - I lost it for 2 and a half years. Rest your voice and that includes not whispering!.

[My condition is called wegener's granulomatosis and is often diagnosed by C-ANCA & P-ANCA blood tests.]

• I am currently working with a voice therapist, it is helping. ENT surgeon stuck a camera down my nose to get a peek at my vocal cords and said I had Oesophageal Reflux. He recommended Gaviscon (urgh) after meals and referred me for voice therapy.

I do vomit quite a bit due to the IBS, I hadn't made the connection before. Gaviscon = therapy seems to be helping.

• I am a teacher, though only work 1 day a week now but the day I do work I end up very hoarse and it takes me the week to recover. I am also finding I am getting sore throat symptoms on a regular basis.

You may also like...