Fibromyalgia Action UK
40,676 members52,749 posts

Need to move to survive

I cannot stand another winter in the UK with the cold and wet affecting my pain and mental health. I don’t want to be somewhere too hot because it’s too uncomfortable, just somewhere warm, dry and without extremes of weather. Does anyone have suggestions of where to go, or has anyone made the move? How do people afford to spend part of the year abroad or to live abroad permanently if you rely on disability pension and state benefits?

Thanks

16 Replies
oldestnewest

Morning Helen, I think it sounds a nice idea, but I think if I did it, I would probably find a big load of other different problems and things I could not cope with . And would be thinking what have I done after a few months, and would do anything to be back home in the cold wet English weather, even with my arthritis. xx hope you feel a bit better soon xxxx

1 like

I did three years in Malta - and in the most part it did me the world of good - I was still I’ll though and the symptoms didn’t go away. There was less winter bugs . I don’t want to put you off because I really had some of the best times but each country has its own unique set of problems and being to hot can be uncomfortable too

1 like

We moved to the Canary Islands 2 years ago with its temperate climate.

Best thing we ever did. No regrets and I certainly have no wish to even visit UK! David has been back a couple of times for personal reasons but...getting on the plane coming home makes him very happy.

Medical care is excellent.

You can claim some disability benefits but with cost of living so much cheaper..no heating bills or huge council tax bills....you won't need them

Follow your hart and dreams

x

3 likes

I hope you find something that really helps you hun xxx

1 like

Welcome to FMAUK Community! :)

I see this is your first post in our community and so I wanted to provide you with a link to a post about 'How to lock posts to this community so only members can read them', see link below;

healthunlocked.com/fibromya...

Living with Fibromyalgia, winter always seem to be the worse part of the year in regarding symptoms. Have you had bloods test to check for deficiencies like Vitamin D & B12 as these seem to make symptoms worse for us Fibromites.

I am sure other members will offer advice about moving to other countries, as I cannot provide any advice in this area but wish you all the best.

Emma :)

often thought about it as the other half spent his childhood in many different countries but it's my family and support network that keep us here. If you find somewhere you think you would like to live would it be possible to do it for say 3 months before committing to a total change. That way you could find out whether the grass is greener on the other side :)

1 like

If you are looking for a nice country, with nice climate and low living costs, than the right destination could be south of Serbia or maybe Macedonia. People live there with 200 pounds a month, and we, in Serbia, have not had severe winters for decades. The lowest temp in this winter was about -4C, for only a couple of days. Morning temps are usually about 2-3 degree and highest about noon 9-12 degree. If you have any concerns about peoples' hospitality down here, you can consult Nick, from this forum, who spends year after year in Serbia. You will be very welcome here, like all the others from UK!

2 likes

What is your health care like?

x

In this past decades our health care has been getting poorer and poorer. We had once a very good health care, and everyone in Yugoslavia was entitled to use this care without any expenses. Even operations and meds were for free (every employed person had to pay for it through the taxes, but it was not so expensive). Since 1990-ties we have, little by little, lost almost all the rights we had and nowadays we have to pay for everything we use within the health care. There are still some taxes paid, but it is sufficient only for basic Dr examinations, nothing else. Also, the quality of medical services is getting poorer and poorer, because all the quality medical stuff had gone to Germany, looking for better wages. It is better not to get sick in Serbia these days... BUT! We have a nice weather, we have a high quality food, beautiful women, cheap beer and we are always in the mood "La vi e belle!"

2 likes

I have traveled widely over my life...much within Europe and the former Eastern Bloc countries. (Lived in Germany and Berlin before the unification in 1989). I have always asked the countries I have visited..what are your health care services like? How do you look after your elderly? And hwo do you look after your disabled people?

Your story is so similar to most other countries in eastern Europe. Much of the care towards the elderly and disabled is left to the family with health care poor even if you are working..

So for someone wishing to move who already has a medical condition it doesn't look very possible.

But as you say...beautiful part of the world and I always loved the warmth of the people.

x

2 likes

I have lived in Germany too, but long time ago, 1979/80, in Hannover. Those were the days... I live in North of Serbia, in Novi Sad (known through its EXIT music-festival). Here are the living expenses a little higher, about 300 pounds for a small flat and living costs a month for a single person. We have also a private medical service, which is more expensive and slightly better. A return flight ticket is about 200 Pounds from UK. Maybe it would be worth trying to come here over the winter, maybe as an organized group. The world is getting smaller and smaller, we are not so far away...

My youngest son was born in Hanover....40 years ago!! I still have very fond memories.

I live in the Canary Islands now where the temperate climate suits my husbands degenerating health..Cold for us is now when it is around 16c at night!! That would be a nice summer day in UK!!

x

Hi it's a very big decision, I for one even though I hate the British Winter and the way it makes me feel I think it's only a few months to get through, I couldn't leave my family, and at my age (70). we're too old now, I've done my travelling, maybe if I was younger and in better health, if anything should happen to my OH I'd be on my own in a foreign country, no way 👎

2 likes

I fully understand your views. But in America, many elderly people spend the winter in Las Vegas, because of the climate. Of course, if one is with the health problems, it is not easy to make such one decision... Best wishes!

1 like

Yes maybe for the winter but they are still in the same Country and with the same rules and regulations regarding health care I imagine, they're not going to a completely different system, I think Devon or Cornwall or maybe even Jersey would be far enough for me where the climate is warmer LOL good luck

Just be aware we are leaving the eu so this might change things...for the worse

You may also like...