Fibromyalgia Action UK
38,699 members50,962 posts

Pain after sex

New to this forum :)

Hope some of you can help. I have suspected endometriosis, although this hasn't been diagnosed !

I am in a lot of pain downstairs after having sex with men ! I feel this is really restricting my life and I am being shunned to the side !

My doctor is sympathetic, but doesn't know what to do. He's examined me, and said everything feels fine with no sensitivity. I am awaiting to be seen in the Hospital !

I'm taking Pregabalin 150mg twice daily, amitriptyline 25mg at night, co-codamol, and 200mg Tramadol twice daily. I take morphine 20mg prior to intercourse.

Can anyone suggest what I should be asking my doctor ? How should I manage the pain ?

Thanks for the help !

3 Replies

Hi there

Welcome to the forum :)

I shall just get straight to your question. Has your doctor not referred you to see a gynaecologist?

If not, then my advice would be to make an appointment to see your GP and request a referral.

There are various reasons why you may have endometriosis and it varies in the amount that you may have.

I used to have extremely painful periods and was diagnosed with endometriosis.

I was lucky and mine was not too widespread.

Wishing you less pain and more peace

Lu x


1 like

Thank you so much both of you for the comments. Been referred so just waiting for an appointment.

Also have widespread tender points which means I may have fibromyalgia hence here.

1 like

Hi stokebones

Welcome to the forum and it is wonderful to make your acquaintance. I genuinely hope that the gynecologist can help shed some light on this issue, and help you in some way? There are so many reasons that it is impossible to say but I have pasted you a couple of excerpts and links form the *NHS Choices cache on this issue:


*Sexual issues

Vaginismus is often associated with past sexual experiences or other sexual issues.

For example, an unpleasant experience at a young age, such as a clumsy, painful sexual encounter or gynaecological examination, can make the body respond in a protective way to prevent further pain.

Having difficulty understanding sex, or having feelings of shame or guilt around sex, could also contribute to vaginismus. For example, you might feel uncomfortable with sex if you:

have had a very strict upbringing where it was never discussed

have been told that sexual desire is wrong or that sex is painful

are affected by cultural or religious taboos around sex



*Why does sex hurt?

Pain during or after sex (dyspareunia) can be caused by many things, such as:



a physical problem

a psychological problem

If you get pain during or after sex, your body may be trying to tell you something is wrong, so don't ignore it. See your GP or go to a sexual health (genitourinary medicine or GUM) clinic.

If you find talking about it embarrassing, remember that doctors are used to dealing with problems like this.

Pain during sex can affect both men and women.

Painful sex in women

Women can experience pain during or after sex, either in the vagina or deeper in the pelvis. Pain in the vagina could be caused by:

an infection: thrush or a sexually transmitted infection (STI), such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea or genital herpes

the menopause: changing hormone levels can make your vagina dry (atrophic vaginitis)

lack of sexual arousal at any age

vaginismus: a condition where muscles in or around the vagina shut tightly, making sex painful or impossible

genital irritation or allergy caused by spermicides, latex condoms or products such as soap and shampoo

Pain felt inside the pelvis can be caused by conditions such as:

pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)


fibroids growing near your vagina or cervix

irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)




I want to sincerely wish you all the best of lcuk and please take care of yourself.

All my hopes and dreams for you



You may also like...