How do I find Rheumatologist who knows about fibro please?

Hi everyone,

I have had all sorts of health problems recently and have just been give choose and book to see a Rheumatologist. I am wondering if all rheumatologists know a lot about fibro or if I need to find someone who specialises in it. I haven't been diagnosed yet but I really think that's what the problem is.

Having endo and also chronic neuropathic pain already I don't want to waste time seeing people who won't understand the problem. Is there a list of specialists anywhere please or any recommendations? I'm in the midlands,


15 Replies

  • Hi sorry to hear about your having health problems, have you looked on self checks website they usually have something there but it's best you check with your gp first to see if it's accurate. Soft huggies. Ros xoxox

  • Thanks for the reply, and the much needed hug! I have had a quick look online and found someone in birmingham, can't mention names though, I'm going to keep looking over the weekend and see what I can find, thanks again and hope you are having one of the good days x

  • Hi eggcustard, I love the name :-) and welcome to our forum :-)

    If you visit our mother site you will find lists of practitioners who might cover your area. There is also a lot of information there which may be of use to you.

    In my experience rheumatologists seem to fall into two groups, ones who understand Fibro and are extremely helpful and then the others who are at the other end of the scale. One would hope that they understand, but I fear it may be an individual opinion. Of course if you visit one who doesn't understand Fibro you can ask for referral for a second opinion.

    I am sure others will join me in offering advice, but I am sendig lots of positive vibes your way :-)

    Foggy x

  • Thanks for the info, I will be having a good read over the weekend. I found a similar thing with gynaes and endometriosis, some knew more about it than others, thanks for the reply and hope you are having one of the good days x

  • Hi

    I went to see a rheumatologist at Derby city about possible lupus or arthritis and she diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. She seems very thorough and definitely recognises the condition. Not sure where in the Midlands you live x

  • Hi, I am in wolverhampton, I will keep looking over the weekend and see who,I can find, thanks for the reply x

  • Hi Eggcustard

    I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can be today? I am so sorry but I cannot really answer your question as I do not live in your area and I really think that Rheumatologists are like GP's, in that some are good and some, well you see a different GP?

    I want to wish you all the best of luck with your appointment.

    All my hopes and dreams for you

    Ken x

  • Hi Eggcustard

    I lived in the midlands for 14 years. Kidderminster to be precise. I started out with chronic chest wall pain 9 years ago. I was 29 at the time. No tests were carried out and I was sent to the pain specialist. He was the most horrible doc I have ever come across. Without any tests, he diagnosed me with benign chest-wall pain syndrome. He told me at the age of 29 that I was middle aged and that condition was common in middle aged women. To this day, nobody has ever heard of it! I was bullied at work because of it and he told me he couldn't do anything for me.

    Anyway, I recently moved to Berkshire. I was sent to see the most lovely rheumatologist. He did a chest x ray and low and behold I have a birth defect which is causing that pain!!! He diagnosed fibro and crps too.

    I wish you luck in finding a specialist where you are hun. I am just so glad I moved!

    Big gentle hugs.


  • Thanks for replying, it just goes to show that there are some not very docs out there! Hopefully I will end up with one of the better ones x

  • Hi I saw a Dr Grindulis at The priory Hospital in Birmingham, it was a private consultation to verify FM. He also works for NHS and is based at Sandwell Hospital. I found him on a fibro web site. Good luck.x

  • Thanks for that, I am going to try NHS at the local hosp first but if I need private he will be on the list, thanks again.

  • Hi Dr Grindulis also works for the NHS at Sandwell hospital, goodluck.x

  • I'm not sure, but I went to a pain clinic and they were every knowledgable and helpful. Hope this helps you sweetheart. Hope you get the help you need!!! xxx Mitzi

  • Hi, thanks for replying, I have been to the pain clinic locally and he was not understanding at all, hopefully the rheumatologist will be more helpful xx

  • Geez, I'm so sorry he wasn't understanding and compassionate. That's half the battle with fibro.... finding a good doctor. Hang in there and keep trying sweetheart!!! xxx Mitzi

You may also like...