Fibromyalgia Action UK
40,197 members52,304 posts

Can anyone tell me if there are any benefits I can claim please?

Can anyone tell me if there are any benefits I can claim please? I desperately want to keep working, although every day is a struggle. I currently work mon,wed,fri to allow me a day of rest between each day at work. I've been doing this for years and it us a tremendous financial burden on my family. I live in Scotland. Am I entitled to any help at all? Thanks folks x

4 Replies




Hi Ladymarmalade

I sincerely hope that you are feeling as well as you possibly can today, and I would like to extend a warm welcome to the forum, it is wonderful to make your acquaintance.

I have pasted you a link below to the GOV.UK site and how to claim PIP, which is the new disability benefit available to people regardless of whether they work or not. I want to wish you all the bets of luck with this.

I genuinely look forward to bumping into you around the forum.

All my hopes and dreams for you



Hi ladymarmalade. I like you have struggled to hold down my job for the past 7 years and had cut my hours dowm so much that i was working 3 days a week. As i was only working 19 hours i wasnt entitled to working tax credit as i would have needed to work 30 hours to claim. Due to pain i couldnt do more hours nd my kids were grown up so wasnt entitled to child tax credit. Basicially by the time i paid my car parking for work as i couldnt use public transport and needed to get parked close to work due to mobility i was coming home with barely enough money to live on after paying my mortage etc. Im now waiting from oct on a decision for dla but im off work sick at the minute and have a meeting with my employer on wed when i will prob be dismissed. I think its awful how we are peanilised if we try and work but cant manage full time. Im not looking forward to the benefits minefield. I hope you get plenty of info on here from members about what you can maybe claim.i admire you for continuing to work. I just cant fight the fight anymore as my health was suffering too much. I will be sad to lose my job of 18 years. Good luck x


Hi ,I am not being disrespectful to anybody who has already replied to you ,but I think you should apply for a payment called PIP .This is payable even when working and also is tax free. Once you phone and go through initial questions your claim starts from that phone call ,it can be quite a long prossess from start to finish (I was a lucky one it was 24 weeks in total ) believe me that was quick .It is made up of 2 components daily living and mobility . If you go onto the .gov website you can read up on it ,this is what is replaceing DLA ,so all new claiments have to apply for PIP now . Hope this can be a help to you ,give it a go I was quite 0h well I don't know if I will get it and the lady on the phone said what have you to lose dear and she was right . I was awarded daily living at the enhanced rate and it has made such a difference to me .If I can help any more just ask ,I can only answer in relation to how my claim went though . Good Luck x


I agree with Ken you should apply for PIP If you are successful with this then you will get the disabilty premium so you only have to work 16 hours a week to qualify to claim working tax credits (this is until universal credit gets rolled out across the country so may change). Also register with your council as disabled as you may be entitled to a blue badge for parking help.Hope this helps.

I too am struggling to keep going at work and have cut down my working hours twice and now work 3 days a week, It is a struggle financially and physically and may have to cut down further or even give up altogether due to my health. I am trying to think of the positives which is hard but we must keep going.

Good luck and gentle hugs.



You may also like...