Fertility Network UK
12,761 members20,676 posts

What is our next step?

My partner and I are in our 30's and have been TTC for 2 years after suffering an ectopic pregnancy where my right tube was removed. My partner already has 13 year old twins to his first wife. We are currently undergoing tests but just wanted some advice as to the usual course of treatment/testing and roughly how long these things take as we are not getting any younger?!

1 Reply

Hi. I was sorry to read that you had suffered an ectopic pregnancy, resulting in the loss of one of your Fallopian tubes. I think that what will probably happen, is that your consultant will suggest that you have some sort of tubal patency test, as you having been trying to conceive for two years. This could be combined with a laparoscopy, or performed on its own in an x-ray department, usually by performing an HSG (hystero-salpingogram). If all is well, and your hormone levels are OK, then you might be advised to continue for a while, or recommended for IVF. If that is the case, you will have to check with your PCT (primary care trust) to see whether they will fund the treatment or not. They might not as your partner already has twins, and this is sometimes recognised as “having children within a relationship”. Should this be the case and you wish to appeal against such a decision, there are template letters on our website infertilitynetworkuk.com under the “Funding For Fertility” section. Just fill in and send to the PCT. Regarding waiting times, that is variable, and only your consultant or PCT will be able to answer that, but could take up to two years.

Diane Arnold


You may also like...