Fertility Network UK
13,504 members21,945 posts

Stopping Progesterone!

Hi guys,

Just wondered how many weeks pregnant you were when you were taken off the progesterone? I had a scan last Friday and measured 7 weeks 2 days so they said I can now start weaning myself off them from wed just gone at 8 weeks pregnant. I was on them 3 times a day so now I am on them twice a day until Sunday when I drop to once a day for 4 days then none at all at just gone 9 weeks pregnant.

I've read mixed information about how many weeks pregnant you are when your body begins producing progesterone naturally and the placenta takes over etc. I know I should trust them but I just feel like it is really early on and I don't want to risk my baby.

Any advice would be great fully received.

Thanks so much

19 Replies
oldestnewest

I haven't had my first scan yet but my clinic said to carry on until 12 weeks. Could you speak to your clinic again for some extra re assurance, I'm sure they'll understand your doubts x

1 like

I believe I'm staying on my progesterone injections until 12 weeks. I guess everyone is different. You should talk to the clinic if worried x

1 like

I stopped mine as soon as I got my BFP. It's crazy how every clinic is different. x

1 like

My clinic said I stay on them until week 8, all clinics seem to differ but then each individuals circumstances/medical background is different. I guess you have to put your faith in your clinic

1 like

Thank you for your replies. It is so crazy how each clinic is different! You would think there would be a set week. I think I just need to trust my clinic but it is so hard when you are so scared something might go wrong all the time x

I felt the same and questioned my clinic why I wasn't staying in it till week 12, the response was I didn't need it

Did you manage ok without them? Sorry that's a personal question so don't feel like you have to reply x

I'm still on them, I'm only at the end of week 5. I'm gonna ask the doctor again at my scan next week

Ah ok I see. I'm so worried I lose the baby by stopping them at 8 weeks x

My clinic has asked me to take them until the end of 3 months - 3 times a day.

Yeah I think that is the common duration.

1 like

I was on them until 12 weeks and this was standard policy with my clinic x

1 like

Thank you for the reply x

1 like

I'm currently 8+3 and my clinic advised taking progesterone until OTD x

So have you stopped it now? X x

I took the last one OTD which was weeks ago yes. Best to just follow the advice of your clinic. They all differ slightly x

Ok thank you. That's good to know. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

1 like

I was on it until after first scan at c7 weeks then they told me to stop. I also questioned why knowing that some are on it to 12 and they said I didn't need it. They said strictly speaking you could stop at OTD.

Strangely though I'm just doing FET to try for my second and this time they've said if it's successful I'll be on both progesterone and oestrogen to 12 weeks. Strange how it differs even within the same clinic!

That is strange then! It's all so confusing. I guess I am just going to have to trust my clinic and go with what they say. Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your FET :)

You may also like...