Bedwetting : My ten year old had never been dry at... - ERIC

ERIC
4,543 members1,889 posts

Bedwetting

DJC1102
DJC1102

My ten year old had never been dry at night since 5 years of age. Over the last year it has improved considerably, not wet every night, though saying that this week he has so far!

Usually tends to wet early morning(5-6am) we tried an alarm four years ago(via enuresis clinic) very briefly but he hated it and we also had a course of desmopressin from Dr last year didn't seem to help.

Not sure what else to do , he's also beginning to affect him, as he's getting older and school trips/camps etc eventually . Nobody that he has seen medically as ever suggested any other causes..he did have a bladder scan many years ago which showed it was on the small side , he also doesn't have regular bowel movements (every 3-4days), however doesnt seem constipated.

10 Replies
oldestnewest
Hidden
Hidden

My 7 year old boy has night time issues but ive just found out that he still wears pull ups through the nite, parents are not together so difficult to follow similar plans

DJC1102
DJC1102
in reply to Hidden

We stopped wearing pull ups quite a long time ago because he didn't want to anymore and I think it was dulling the sensation he had wet himself therefore not waking up at all!

We use disposable bedmats which are great , tried washable ones but not very good.

I guess the disposables could work out pricy if using one a night though.

Try without pull ups or wear double pants can help , as if not heavy doesn't soak through to bedding as quickly, thereforless washing to do! Doesn't always work but can help .

Good luck!

Hidden
Hidden
in reply to DJC1102

During the lockdown its far easier to keep track of problem, although there are 3 different plan of actions as boys stay at 3 different houses. I personally have tried lots of different things but am only finding out things now

Hi there. My nine year old son has never been dry at night. Bed wetting alarm didn’t work. Desmopressin did nothing. Paediatrician ordered a bowel transit test which did show that he had slow bowel transit. I had no idea he was constipated as he was pooing regularly. But it’s most likely he had a build up over poo and any bowel motions were bypassing an impaction. He now takes quite strong laxatives. No improvement yet after taking these for a few months. But the paediatrician said it can take 2 years for the bowel to recover. When the bowels start working normally, the hope is that his bladder will be less squashed and he will be able to hold more overnight x

DJC1102
DJC1102
in reply to baldry99

I did wonder if this could be an underlying cause. How did you get a bowel transit test?

Thanks

baldry99
baldry99
in reply to DJC1102

The paediatrician ordered it. It’s a simple enough test. They swallow radiopaque capsules 3 days in a row and then have an abdominal x-ray x

DJC1102
DJC1102
in reply to baldry99

Thanks will contact Drs once lockdown eased.

baldry99
baldry99
in reply to DJC1102

Good luck. Annoyingly it seems like there is no quick fix! X

So was he dry at night when he was younger, then started wetting again?

yes, almost as soon as he turned 5. Has improved over the years.

You may also like...