Has anyone had an infection due to endome... - Endometriosis UK

Endometriosis UK
45,601 members38,482 posts

Has anyone had an infection due to endometriosis?

marti323
marti323
13 Replies

I was curious to know how common it is to have an infection that is endo related.

Last July after one month of feeling an odd pain on the left side of my pelvic, around where the ovary and tube is, my pain escalated to the point where I went to the emergency room. They just did and ultrasound and saw that my left side mass was so big it was overshadowing my right side. They couldn’t even make out the right side. Plus they couldn’t make out what was ovary or tube on the left side. Two days later I had an obgyn appointment. The doctor thought my cyst was bleeding into itself hence causing the pain, so we went ahead with surgery.

I woke up from surgery to find out that I had a tubo-ovarian abscess (TOA)! She said it was about 10cm! Pathology then came back noting that the bacteria which caused it was group b strep!! The bacteria that flows all throughout our GI system. Doctors say this is an uncommon bacteria to have caused my infection. As usually it’s caused by a sexually transmitted disease bacteria like ghonorrhwa or clymidia. He even said it’s a pretty uncommon case. I showed no fever, but it might have been because I was taking Tylenol and Advil the whole week leading up to it so maybe the medicine was keeping my temperature normal? But then again TOAs sometimes aren’t presented with a fever. Anyway the TOA was drained and the doctor had to patch me up because they couldn’t do anything else since I was so inflamed. This was also when I found out I had stage iv frozen pelvis endo.

I have a hydrosalpinx on the same side too that was discovered years ago. So our theory is that the hydrosalpinx made it hard for my body to get rid of the bacteria, thus causing the infection.

How many of you all have had infections too? And what happened?

13 Replies
oldestnewest
Lyn84

Years before i ever found out i had endo i was admitted doubled over screaming in pain they said i had a pelvic infection and insisted it must be a sti despite the fact all the tests for a sti came back clear i spent a week in hospital with it

marti323
marti323
in reply to Lyn84

Did they place you on some antibiotic iv drip to get rid of the infection?

Lyn84
Lyn84
in reply to marti323

Yeah they did and then i was suppose to take antibiotics for another week after that but in the end it took a month of antibiotics to get rid of it

marti323
marti323
in reply to Lyn84

Wow fascinating. I’m sure if you had what I had that it put you in so much pain, it must have been a pretty sizable infection as well! Hence the antibiotics for so long. Well now you know a case (me) where someone had an infection but it was not from an STI! Did you have a fever?

Lyn84
Lyn84
in reply to marti323

Yeah i must have had an temp as i remember them putting fans on me to cool me down it was awful i remember being on gas and air in the ambulance for the pain on the way to hospital, good to know there is someone else who experienced something similar and it wasn't an sti

marti323
marti323
in reply to Lyn84

Also the antibiotic that the doctor had me on made me think she also prescribed it for me when she thought it was from a bacteria that was common from STIs. At one week post op she switched me to another antiobiotic after she looked at the pathology report and saw what strain of bacteria ACTUALLY caused it

Lyn84
Lyn84
in reply to marti323

Maybe thats why took so long to clear maybe i was on wrong antibiotics they were treating it as if it was an sti even tho the results were negative

marti323
marti323
in reply to Lyn84

Right that could be it! I’m glad you replied! It’s so hard to find info on these rare cases.

1 like
princessk09

Hey, during my lap my surgeon found out I had a pelvic infection which he thinks was caused by a cyst bursting.

He pretty much left it during surgery and at my post op appointment last Friday he was useless and didn’t make much sense. Probably why I still have issues

marti323

Oh no, did you get some antibiotics though? Perhaps monitor your temperature and see if you have any shivers.

princessk09

Nah he didn’t give me anything for it which was strange

marti323

Keep an eye on it. Hope it’s all good!

You may also like...