Is a general gastro colonoscopy a good idea?

Is a general Gastroenterologist (he is board certified and is a professor in gastroenterology at the state college, also named one of the city's top doctors) going to be able to see or recognize endometriosis on the bowel? I know endo on the bowel is rare so I imagine that is not the first thing they are going to look for because statistically the chances are so low. The reason I ask is because I had a Laparoscopy with confirmed endo found a farge amount underneath my uterus and also I am suffering from what appears to be monthly rectal bleeding a day before my period should start and bouts of diarrhea and constipation, more often constipation. For this reason I really want answers as to why I am bleeding, its scary lol. I have no idea what kind of doctor or procede I should really be looking for nessaacarily but my gyno/surgeon said the colonoscopy would be the next best step. I just want to make sure a general Gastroenterologist doing a standard colonoscopy is going to or is able to look for the endo?

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • They will only see endo on a colonoscopy if it has grown right through the bowel wall, which from what I understand is possible but rare. I have extensive bowel endo but my sigmoidoscopy was normal. However it's still important to have the colonoscopy so they can rule out other bowel disorders.

• Ok, thank you for the information and reassurance that the colonoscopy is still a good idea

You may also like...