Stitches

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can help. It's been 9 days since the laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. I have 3 wounds (as I call them), the largest is of course my belly button, it looks horrendous! And has just made me feel dizzy and I have gone really pale. Will this gradually improve and look half normal?

My main concern is whether I am meant to keep them covered up or air them and give them room to breathe? I think I kept the previous dressings on too long as where the sticky bit it has gone bit red. I am seeing the consultant tomorrow and plan to give them air, is this the right thing to do? Any advice appreciated. L x

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi,

I had my second laparoscopy with laser last week. I have three wounds, and like you, my belly button is mangled. I took the dressings off on the second day and have been letting them air, giving them a clean and wipe with tcp every morning and night. Salt water would work fine too. Mine are very nearly healed up.

Hope that helps.

• Oh my good ness yes you shouldn't need dressings on them by now just keep clean with plain water the redness is prob the healing belly button always looks a bit grim but before you know it it will heal nicely don't worry

if you have dissolvable stitches takes around 3weeks for them to go

• Hiya,

Don't try and do too much too soon. I went back to work after 2 days and ended up being signed off for 2 weeks as I burst my belly button stitches! Such fun! After 2 laparoscopy's my once cute belly button is now a cave! Lol

Hope you feel better soon

Jo XXX

• Hi honey,

Like you, after my lap I had 3 incisions & they completely butchered my belly button (now almost a year later it still looks awful). Keep the dressings off, & gently rinse the wounds a couple of times a day with some warm salty water/ saline solution & sterile cotton swabs. If the area starts to get really red, bleeds, weeps fluid or green/yellow pus, & you get any bad headaches, smelly vaginal discharge (sorry tmi lol), sickness or severe pain, just go straight to A&E. I had a few infections after my lap & they told me the same. Otherwise just let them air & keep them clean. The stitches will take a few weeks to disappear which is normal. Hope this helps xx

• Thank you all for taking the time to reply, a great help and appreciate your help. I am keeping the dressings off now and cleaning with warm salt water. I saw the consultant today and she also cleaned them up for me as she realised that I have been scared to touch or even look, but thanks to you all I have got braver and faced the stitches. Thanks again :) X

You may also like...