If your Hypothyroid and you parent was a type 1 diabetic can I developed diabetes?

My father was a type 1 diabetic and he passes when I was little. He only has 2 kids me and my older sister who is in her late 20s and I'm 17. She doesn't have diabetes or anything. I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid a month ago and I don't have diabetes. I'm always scared and freaking out that I will develop diabetes. I feel like one of his kids have to expecially sense I have Hypothyroid now. Is there a possibility that I won't get it and does it skip a generation? I am terrified that I'll develop diabetes. Im really stressed and cry about it often. Sense I already developed hypothyroid I'll probably also develop diabetes some time right?

2 Replies

• Hi Tori, the cause of type 1 is unknown but it is thought to be an auto-immune process. In effect the body produces antibodies to the pancreas, damaging it and preventing it producing insulin. Type 1 only affects about 15% of all people with diabetes and it usually starts below the age of 40.

Hypothyroidism isn't a direct cause of diabetes although indirectly if untreated can lead to weight gain and this puts patients at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes rather than Type 1. So please talk to your doctor and healthcare professionals who will be able to explain this in more detail, and try not to worry.

• Hi tori, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my late 20s and I have had great battles to keep weight off, its a hard thing to deal with, I'm on levothyroxine 175 mg and after about 16 years I now have diabetes, because of my weight. I don't want to frighten you, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, if you manage to keep your weight in check, i think that you may or may not get diabetes, keep yourself busy, eat healthly you shouldn't end up diabetic I hope that this helps. Good luck x

You may also like...