LCHF Diet

One of my doctors had advised the below. I am confused.

Low Carb High Fat diet is not recommended for Diabetics. Our body needs continuous energy which can be easily available only from carbohydrates. A high fat diet in the long run can raise ketones levels in the blood and cause Keto Acidosis in the patient which is a life threatening condition. Fibre rich carbohydrates will ensure slow and gradual release of glucose in the blood.

Last edited by

28 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Not surprising. Most doctors mix up DKA with Nutritional Ketosis

• Google ketosis AND ketoacidosis.

Ketosis is life, runaway ketoacidosis is death.

• Ketones are produced when fat is burned for energy and it is said that ketones accumulated in the body can lead to ketoacidosis. So, should we- LCHF followers- check ketones periodically ?

• Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are two different states.

Whether you are in nutritional ketosis or not, you can check urine through strips available for the purpose.

In ketoacidosis your blood sugars will hit sky high before ketoacidosis really hits. It's a runaway process and more of a Type 1 phenomenon. It needs near absence of insulin to hit DKA

• I did testing once or twice to see if i was spilling ketones, but it turns out, i'm not able. The body doesn't allow it to happen no matter how high the blood sugars go for me.

• What has been the highest sugar levels recorded?

• Over 400.

• (1) Was blood Ketone levels also tested?

"β-hydroxybutyrate, despite chemically containing a carboxylic acid instead of a ketone, is the principal "ketone body" in diabetic ketoacidosis."

Source: Wikipedia

(2) Also, with CGMS in use, would it not throw a red flag before those levels of blood sugar are reached?

(3) Are you insulin resistant?

• This was years before getting a CGM.

• Are you insulin resistant ie is there insulin resistance?

• Haven't been told by any of the doctors that that was a possiblity. Will check into that soon.

• Just check the TG/HDL ratio, from the last report.

• Will do!

• AFAIK

Ketones are made only when on long fasts and on VLC diet (less than 50 gm per day). Dangerously high levels will only show up when there is absence of insulin (type 1).

• Dr's have been trained on this what they have to recommend

They have Confusion on what is nutritional Ketosis and what is keto acidosis

• There is no confusion. ketosis is ketosis irrespective of the cause and predisposes to the same metabolic disorder if not corrected.

rigorous fasting or forced starvation is also harmful for the body

• Nope. Those who live on Nutritional Ketosis know how great it is. There's a big difference between nutritional ketosis and DKA.

• Please read more on this

• How much FAT and Protein do you take in a day?

What are sources of FAT?

• Hi HarmitK

(1) Can you tweak a bit, remove biscuits and crackers and replace them with nuts.?

(2) Dawn Phenomenon is a tough beast to handle. If no change in diet works, then it's better to discuss with the doc for adding one dose of Metformin SR at bed time.

To give you a hint of LCHF that my life revolves around:

healthunlocked.com/diabetes...

Too much protein will also convert to sugar.

Also, not sure if Virgin Olive Oil (VOO) for cooking is the way to go. We normally use Virgin Coconut Oil. All VOO is only for cold use like salad dressing etc.

• You are welcome HarmitK

Morning numbers aim at around 5.0 ideally.

Do keep us posted.

• Sorry for too many suggestions.

During next scheduled lab tests, add test for Fasting Insulin. Presuming that FBS and PPBS will be tested.

• HarmitK

fasting insulin test can be done at Thyrocare labs....costing is about Rs.400

• i started eating egg /almonds/ cashewnut/ wallnuts sir / fruits sir

very soon i will start eating other fat foods cheese paneer etc chicken

• Count carbs and restrict to 100 gms/day max. Replace eliminated carbs with good fats.

• ok sir i will do as u mentioned

• 100% true. where is your confusion in this?

You may also like...