how to get hba1c further down from 6.8

Hello, My husband is diabetic. Todays tests revealed 6.8 as hba1c. He leads a very sedentary life.

He however eats what I cook but wont do anything extra to better his health. Here is my current meal plan. He wont take Virgil coconut oil or heavy butter etc. We are vegetarian. I am reaching out to you to help me with the meal plan..

Here is the current meal plan:

small amount of upma/ 2 small dosas + chutney/ 4 small rice idli + sambar / poha/ 2 small rava idli

some coffee

2 rotis + dal or sabji

1 whole cucumber sliced

Evening snack

1 apple/ 1 bowl of papaya / 1 guava deseeded.

Diabetic rice + rasam / sambar + curd

In between he drinks 4-5 cups of coffee as he gets hungry.

Once in a while we eat out dinner.

His fasting is always about 120.

Please advice.

12 Replies

• I forgot to mention he take

LV pride2 in the morning after breakfast,

Glycomet SR500 after lunch

GP1 Forte + razovel 10 after dinner

• Key to diabetes management is restricting CARBS intake and replacing them with good fat. I am a diabetic into SIXTH year on ZERO drugs as I follow and preach (FREE) LCHF diet. More about me on my profile:

Anything food packet that diabetic friendly is most diabetic unfriendly for us.

• already food intake is less. in what way can i reduce further ? Being vegetarian choices are less. Anup Sir, can you please help tweak my menu suggested above and let me know. Already husband is 58kg. Looks too thin. What is a good fat ? Ghee ? Butter ?

• I am never a big fan of living life with half stomach full -- ie starving -- just to control sugar. Since I cannot post links to same site more than once in 10 posts, have sent you a PM. Pl check yr inbox.

I always insist that while switching diet, start from basics, follow a three week complete transition plan to be sure footed. As for food, we love eating till full and let diet kill the hunger. We can easily skip a meal without effort on LCHF diet and don't do useless calorie counting :)

• The meal plan is carb loaded and that too items like dosas, upma, idlis, rice, rotis etc.

With these food items, even with higher doses of medicines BS control will always remain a problem.

• Gentlemen,

I am also a recent diabetic and vegetarian. can you please post what could be be ideal diabetic food for a vegetarian from breakfast to dinner and in between snacks. so much info in the links being shared.

• Follow the link posted by @shrisamarth, learn what LCHF is and then it will be easy to manage your own meals depending on your own taste.

• anup ji,

as informed earlier i have been following your posts and they are really very interesting, educative. Of course I have been checking on the links you have been giving. I just want to know how you have been able to be off the drugs and maintain the sugar levels in control. can you please, if you don't mind, post here, what actually you eat from the time you get up to the time you go to bed ? may be we could take some cue from those details.

• I never went on drugs. I just followed LCHF diet.

Right now experimenting with ketogenic diet. Search my old posts and you will find all information.

Menu is something that cannot be given redy made on the plate. You will have to undertake the pains of understanding principles of LCHF, and give three week transition time to switch-over. I have posted meals few times here. Pl go thru all my posts and replies.

• ok sir.

• All links are important so please go through all of them. On the site lot has been posted about vegetarian meals in meals section.

• Keep his intake of flour, sugar, fruit, beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, tubers, root vegetables, grains and cereals down, having a little natural fat instead; avocado, nuts, olive oil, coconut, butter, double cream, and full-fat cheese.

You may also like...