when to take medicines ?

I take glucon M2 (glimmy 2 mg + metformin 500) twice daily 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner.Immediately after breakfast and dinner I take Janumet 50/500 (sitagliptin & metformin) . Night at 10 pm insulin Lantus is taken. My sugar is under good control now. Should I continue medication in the same way or any change is required in timings ?

20 Replies

• Controls means what BS levels?

4mg glimi, 2gm met, 100mg sitagliptin and insulin. You are on heavy drug dosage. Either you are on high carb diet or your most of the beta cells are dysfunctional or dead.

• My guess is rice, wheat, oats, ragi, bread, biscuits loaded diet, going by the cocktail of drugs being taken. Basically the High Carb Low fat nonsensical diet.

• dear unni,

here in this forum most people ignore the most important things ,a diabetic should understand.

over weight and over eating.!!!!

diabetes medicines are mostly for increasing blood insulin -or increasing insulin sensitivity[set aside alphaglucosidase activity , inhibition of liver glycogenolysis etc]

insulin needed is basicaly calculated from the body weight. [ref:- TDI, then basal component]

more than two third the food you take is purely for the dead weight body functions. meaning respiration ,heart beat etc,temperature maintenance etc.[these are called the basal functions]

[ compare ,sedentary-1.2, moderate-1.4,, in active 1.8]

this points to the

great importance of weight reduction

which can cause substantial reduction in medicine usage.

are you overweight?how much overweight are u?what is your height?from the height only recommended weight and bmi can be calculated.

half learned persons are seen to preach against world accepted concepts like BMI.ignore them.

good luck

• Your comments seen it is good . For asking any guidance all the BS pesons must give the complete history of their diabetic

height and wt age from how much long period noticed last blood test done and what the result

Important the daily routine work and daily eating lunch midday meals and night meals and snacks and how much cofee or tea or milk used

This may be clearly mentioned and how much high sugar contents and sweets must be noticed and check

this is the fundamental work thanks

• dear nataraj,

thanks for your sincere understanding.

good luck

• my height is 163 cm and weight 60 kg.I am diabetic for 18 yrs. recently my sugar was very high ie., fbs 220 and 330 after food. For the last one month I am taking these medicines. Insulin started one month back (16 units). Today morning when checked my fbs was 73 and after food 101. I am

vegetarian and taking medicines for cardiology problems also .Age 62 yrs.

• Sulfonyluria drugs and insulin doses have to be carefully adjusted. To reduce drugs you need to reduce your carb intake and test for BS variations. Being vegetarian your diet possibly could be of high carb one. Otherwise you don't need your current drug schedule.

• dear shri samarth,

what you said is only true partly.

look at the following calculations.

1]REE is 900+10 w

so when yo fall from 80 kg to 60 kg you differ by

20 into ten equals 200 kcals equating to 50 grams carbs which is three chappathys down.

2]your TDI is 0.55 into 80 or sixty

so your TDI is reduced by 11 units of insulin .

3] your basal-bolus thus reduced to 5.5 each roughly.

by the way elswhere you had said

hypoglycemia at 100 occurs if only,

the the reduced carbs are not properly substituted by fats.

this also is not cannot be correct as the body does not know how to produce glucose from fats[ the glyoxylate shunt is absent in humans .

the protein to carbs are possible, but will be unpredictable and may not be suficient in

a balanced diet.

but one thing i will agree against my probability reasoning--

that a person at 100 goes for , will over eat, rather than under eat .

under eating at 200 carbs will not cause any harm

but 201 is hyperglycemia.

if there is no nutrient crisis or other problems i had said ,who is opposed to high fat eating ?

why the world of scientists do not advise it?

only some isolated men who moved away from the mainstream line of thinking long ago support it.why the words lchf and the nutritional ketosis are absent in the university level articles?

good luck

• dear ax,

some doctors are good ,some may be bad.

the same thing with lawyers, engineers ,technicians etc.the list goes on.

if teaching profession people are not corrupt, it is because they dont get a chance for it.

a tv technician comes to your house. he charges anything

and also some times removes a good component and replaces even a just worse component than what was inside already.

about ada you have to make particular allegations.

then a committee of scientists appointed by the indian diabetic association and the like only is competent to criticize such large bodies like WHO or diabetes uk, european union etc.

leave alone whether the criticism itself is correct or not.

IF YOU CAN TOLERATE' some one telling 'WHO' NONSENSE,

YOU CAN CERTAINLY TOLERATE , anyone in medicine -'nonsense',

INDIACRATUS NONSENSE in particular, no doubt.

Thanks for the response.

i dont think anybody in this forum or any international forum is competent ,repeat COMPETENT ,

to criticize and add an epithet like NONSENSE TO THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION.nothing but madness

good luck

• In India people follow their doctors with trust for diabetes but still fail to control it. Who is at fault?

Still you are unable to reply.

• Obviously BMI is at fault :D :D

• I would suggest it is better to look at what actually happens.

Person on 100gm carbs is getting his most of the energy from fat in ketone form. So there is no need for gluconeogenesis of fat. My point was that if the person is not eating sufficient fat then he might experience weakness. Or if his body can not process fat efficiently (rare possibility).

Whatever calculations you are doing are theoretical and may be useful for some but practically not applicable for all.

This weight reduction theory is not for all is my practical experience. Even after unintended reduction of weight by 8kg and so called balanced diet (prior to adopting LCHF diet) there was no control of BS. (I was never overweight contrary always underweight).

Still some questions remain unanswered.

It the test for ketone in urine is negative (on LCHF), are you going to still claim the same thing?

Quote from my last reply to you

"These people try to manage their diabetes with the help of their doctors but fail. I myself initially was doing what conventional medical practice recommends. But to no avail.(For diet none of the doctors suggested me anything)."

You said you have successfully controlled you diabetes by weight reduction then you should post your BS and lipid nos. here.

• My point is same as you mentioned in point no. 1

It is only when needed.

His BMI theory is not always applicable. And that he also knows it very well. He is just unnecessarily theoretical. If it is true then forum members should follow his advice which is not happening.

• BMI theory is USELESS unless Body fat % is also talked of. One user posted y'day. He switched to LCHF, his weight dropped, lipids improved, sugar improved, waistline reduce by 2 inches. He switched back to HCLF due to piles etc and he gained 4kg, blood sugar started creeping up so he is planning to switch back to LCHF.

Point here is: On HCLF you have to indulge in STARVING and STARVING itself can Stress body. But, these finer points they would never understand as they have the drugs to mask everything. On LCHF things run in "Autopilot" mode :)

• Just believe the "honesty" of the author and never ask for their numbers or Diet. That's the mantra when you want to debate/discuss with them.

However, when the sides are switched around a table, we have to provide complete bio-data, including how long have we been diabetic, what exercise we do, what is the height, weight, waist circumference and the icing on the cake is -- final question -- Are you really sure you are diabetic

Or worst still:

You are not diabetic ... this could be some transient unrecognized medical condition which caused higher sugars.

• "I am not diabetic" was also claim of one of members sridhar but he did reply when I asked about his nos.

• Guess ~160 diabetics on LCHF are enough to prove everything but naysayers will be naysayers and haters will be haters.

• dear unni

Height: 1.63 meters

Weight: 60 kilograms

Your BMI is 22.6.

this is in the normal range

but you can reduce your weight even further to some 55 kg

• you may even reduce down to

49.2 kg with out being considered underweight.

but cosmetic reasons may creep in.ie, will look very thin ,not handsome.for appearance keep a weight of20/ 21 bmi.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 49.2 to 66.2 kilograms.

weight reduction can bring to you drastic reduction in food and medicine requirements.

good luck

• For a change you did not speak against LCHF. Good!

BMI is useless number unless you TALK of Body FAT. A person can have higher weight and less body fat for same BMI

DRUGS should never be the first resort. It should be LAST. Diet is most important and this is where LCHF diet has worked wonders globally amongst Daring Diabetics .. diabetics who dare their doctors advise of HIGH CARB LOW FAT Nonsense.

You may also like...