hi, I need help. I am diabetic since past 2 years. below is my diet plan and my sugar levels. What is causing increase in blood sugar ?

My typical day:

wake up at 5:00 am: blood sugar is 143.

drink soaked methi seeds + lauki juice then go for a brisk 1hour 30 min walk.

Blood sugar now 131.

at 7:30 a.m: Take tripride LV 2. eat breakfast (typical is oats dosa/idli or upma). I go for a 10 min walk.

At 9:30 am my blood sugar is 153.

Snack is at 10:00 am. typically coffee with 2-4 marie biscuits.

1:00 pm : sugar level is 89

lunch at 1:00 pm: 3 phulkas, raw veggies, curd, 1 vegetable curry. Walk for 10 mins.

3:00 pm : Sugar level is 212.

4:00 pm: fruit (guava/orange/apple/strawberries)

8:00 pm: Dinner : Taking glycomet trio 1 just before dinner. Dinner: brown rice + dal + cooked vegetable + curd.

walk for 10 mins.

10:00 pm: Sugar level is 192. (generally sleep at 10:00)

11:00 pm :sugar level is 218

What am I doing wrong ? Why my blood sugar does not come under control past lunch ?

Last edited by

20 Replies

• dear diahelp,

there is nothing wrong with you exept some adjustments , you are doing fine.

there are two things you have to do.

your morning bs is higher than normal target 130.

to bring it down you have to ask the doctor to change dose of drug.

and you have like many people a high ppbs.

like all people you have not mentioned how much upma you take and how much rice you take.

have you heard of carbohydrate counting?

eating more of starch or starchy vegetables raise the blood sugar.

carbohydrate counting most people think is a thing for the insulin people.

no, everybody should do it if their bs levels are not in control.

i have never seen anyone in the forum telling - i am on 1500 calories for eg., and or i am taking 50 grams carbs per meal and the like.

as an initial experment

try taking only one phulka and see that the bs falls.

if only you feel hungry you need compensate the phulka.

compensate with cooked vegitables.

similarly reduce starch in the break fast and dinner.

in no case whatsoever change the vegetable and fruit consumption .

some people in the forum are advising an extremely low carb diet.

it will rob a vegetarian of all his fruits and vegetables.it will create a nutrient crisis in the long run.

. they just think diabetes management is just reducing bs. no it is a lot more.

just ignore them .

good luck

• Some people perfectly know that sugar is not the main problem. It is metabolic disorder. But conventional medicine don't tell you that. That's why Jenny Ruhl named her book "what they don't tell you about diabetes.

• And they never will. Jenny Ruhl is role model for all Type 2 diabetics who do not go by the advise of their endo or doctor when it comes to diet and take control of their diabetes in their own hands.

• the raw veggies includes only cucumber, tomatoes and carrot. I will bring down the number of pulkas to 2 to start with. I tend to get hungry later hence will try reducing one and give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I have also started to consume soaked methi seeds + water at 10:00 am and again at 5:00 pm (before lunch and dinner) based on an advice from my friend. This seems to reduce the bs levels. Its only one day since I have started this and may be a bit early to suggest to others. I will keep you posted. Thanks to everyone who has replied. Keep healthy.

• Why don't you try 'Long wheat' diet at least for breakfast?It is working for me.If you search on this web site you will get plenty of guidance on Long wheat diet.

• thank you. I will check this out.

• Oats, Dosa, Idli is all CARBS. I never prefer such a breakfast as a diabetic. I would do anything to stay away from drugs as much as I can.

Marie biscuits never ever. Prefer nuts over such carb loaded biscuits.

My road to success is with Low Carb High Fat ( LCHF ) diet where i restrict my day's total carbs to 100gms. 60% of my energy requirement is from FATS. My LIPIDS have improved, KFT improved, Sugar levels are as good (last A1C 2as 5.6) and in around 3.25 years as a diabetic I haven't taken any drugs.

In the end i really don't care what American Diabetes Association says about diabetic diet. Those diets are designed for selling more Drugs and Insulin.

• Read several times about LCHF, but what about Cholesterol

/ Triglyceride. that's main causes for heart problems. Whether save your self from diabetics & proceed to heart problem ? I am not a doctor but Dr. says about it that cholesterol increased with animal product either milk, milk products or meat and Triglyceride increased with vegetable oils. Please suggest

• Good dietary fats (unprocessed meat, chicken, eggs, dairy products, nuts etc.) don't cause heart decease. It is the damaged fats like trans fats, frying, highly processed grain oils cause CHD. Dietary cholesterol normally doesn't affect cholesterol levels. More than 70% is manufactured by lever. Mainly cholesterol itself is not the cause.

• LIPIDS improve on LCHF. Forget the doctor, they don't know anything beyond what Uncle Ancel Keys fraudulently claimed 5 decades back to push more carbs. They don't even know about true LCHF benefits. They never were taught LCHF in any school.

Most who switched to LCHF have reported better LIPIDS and some have even gone off DANGEROUS STATIN Drugs. On LCHF even LDL becomes large and fluffy which is harmless. No drugs can achieve that. Cholesterol numbers are useless, it is the ratios that count more and one should be concerned about.

• If it isnt oats, dosa or idli, can you please suggest what else can be eaten for breakfast ? I am a south indian. Also, how to calculate the calories ? My idli intake is 2-3 or 2 dosas or 1 1/2 scoop of oats upma. Please advice me. How much of calories would these be ?

• dear diahelp,

can you just read this reply.

totaling each item of a meal may look tedious in the beginning. but later by just scanning a meal you may be able to tell the total calories.

remember calories is one thing and carb counting is another thing.

it is carb counting that predominates when it comes to un controlled bs levels

good luck

• Carrot and tomato can also raise sugar so you have to limit that. Starting point is please start carb counting from fatsecet.com/ and aim for no more than 100grams/day.

Fir example, search tomato and then click on one link, clock on 100gm on the right of the table. The top ill give you how much energy comes from carbs/protein and fat. Left side ill give your carbs/fat/sugar/protein per 100gm if you have selected 100gm. So tomato for example is as on following link:

Similarly do for all items that go into your meal and then start adding up carbs. Even calories of (uncooked) is also available. Design your full day's meal based on the data that you get for each item that goes into your day's meals.

• Instead of Idly , dosa ,upma, try pesarattu made of whole green gram , You can add soybean, peanut and a little red rice if you want ( not white rice) .Try this .Of course you should limit intake to 60 grams .Use coconut chutney and test your PPBG .Surprise awaits you

• 100gms of carbs is quite difficult to measure. Seems like everything has carbs and it can easily add up to a 100gms. In lame terms could you give a sample meal plan like what is to be eaten for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner ? A sample meal plan will be very helpful for me and my wife. I am a south indian vegetarian. Thanks.

• I have posted quite a lot about my dinner/lunch/breakfast and the PPBS by mete after that. Pl search on forum.

• HI Dear- U may adopt the following course of action for controlling ur BS-

A.Kindly understand that all of us are having the sugar in our body. The question is only that in our body it goes beyond the reasonable limits and that is why it starts giving problem. Further sugar levels going below the prescribed levels are equally not good. Therefore, cure is to keep it in within the reasonable limits. Once it has come within reasonable limits, our job is to keep and maintain it in within reasonable limits and that we can do without the help of medicines and by following the following course of action.

B.Kindly understand that our Blood Sugar level deviates from the reasonable acceptable limits, as we have restricted ourselves to our house/office and going away from nature. It happens due to lack/shortage of Oxygen in our body. In summer season, we prefer to apply Air-conditioners/Desert Coolers and in Winter Season, we prefer to apply Electric heaters etc, instead of taking fresh air from the nature/wearing warm clothes. So the solution is to minimize the use of these products and have oxygen/fresh air from the natural resources.

C. Kindly understand that we are having the habit of eating those fruits/vegetables & other items which suit to our taste and do not prefer to eat those items which are not according to our taste. Here the advice is to involve all permissible foods/vegetable/ dairy products & other eatables as part of our daily eating habits. Kindly understand that Diabeties interfers in our life, because of our focus on some specific eatables and ignorance towards the other valuble eatables required by our body. Here the cure is to have all permissible eatables are part of our daily routine. (Balance of Carbohydrates/vitamins/proteins & Minerals).

D.Kindly further understand that in present days, we need to involve light Physical Exercise/Yoga and Meditation as an integral part of our daily routine. Further we need to avoid unnecessary mental stress.

E.Further note that the digestion of food had of us is also equally important. Kindly eat less than what is desired by the stomach so that it can easily be digested. Have the food again after some time and allow it to digest properly.

F.Kindly understand that Diabeties cannot be controlled merely by taking medicines as it is disorder of our eating habits and that of daily routine-the way of living. If we depend only on medicine then after sometime, the medicines may stop working and supporting our body.

1. Get up early in the morning, before the sun rises and go on terrace and do the exercise of INHALE & EXHALE of oxygen, just for 20 minutes.

2. Go for a normal work, morning and evening, 30 minutes, each time.

3. Take a glass of hot water (As hot as tea), 15 minutes after Lunch & Dinner and it will wash out the sugar so created by the food so consumed.

4. After 30 minutes of lunch, take a teaspoon of powder of Dry Awla (Goosberry) and Saunf (Aniseed) (both in equal quantity) with normal water. Both Awla/Amla and Aniseed are available either at the shops of dryfruits or where the spices are available.

5. If you want to take Rice, as part of food, take it after taking out the water from Rice or preferably take Brown Rice.

6. If you want to take Potato, as part of Vegetable, always take boiled potatos and take it in liquid form and not in dry form.

7. Take Chapati, prepared of wheat combining of -Wheat Flour, Black Gram and Barley-All in equal quantities. Black Gram will support the function of heart and Barley will clean up and strength the kidney functions. (Reduce the ratio if the chapatti becomes hard to eat).

8. Use of Refined Flour (Maida) should be restricted as far as possible, as it is highly contributory factor in increase of Diabeties. Therefore, the items made of Refined Flour such as normal bread, PAAO, Pizzabase, Samosa, Bhature etc should be avoided as far as possible. However, Brown Bread can be taken.

9. Take Fruit and Vegetable Salad, as integral part of food, without pouring Salt and Chat Masala or any other spice on it, at the time of Lunch & Dinner.

10. Take Sprouts and Milk Products as integral part of daily food. Milk Products includes Double Toned Milk-Low Fat Milk, Curd, Buttermilk and Paneer.

11. Mix up 1/4th teaspoon of Haldi Powder (Turmeric powder) in winters and reduce it to one pinch in summer season (Yellow in color) with a glass of hot milk, without sugar and have it 30 minutes before going to bed. It will purify the blood in the body and also eliminates every type of pains and weaknesses in the body and further strength the body. It will also not allow any type of cancer in the body and also will not allow the stage of knee replacement even at any stage of ur life.

12. Avoid taking vegetables like Pototaos, Sweet Potatos, Carrot etc. having the sweet contents and fruits like, sugarcane, Mango, oranges, Bannanna, grapes etc.

13. You can have vegetables like Cauliflower, Cabbage, Methi (Fenugreek Leaves), Palak, Raddish, Lady Finger, Tinda, Brinjal etc.

14. You can have fruits like, Gowua, Apple, Pomigrantte, Watermelon(with black pepper and sendha salt), Pappaya etc.

15. Take the leafts of Raddish and have it in raw form as part of salad.

16. During Summer Season, always take Buttermilk-salted one, as part of food. It will improve digestive system and reduce the overburdening of Liver function.

17. Avoid taking normal tea & Coffee. Always take Green Tea.

18. Avoid taking Oily and more salty food. Reduce the consumption of oil, butter, Ghee and always consume easily digestable food.

19. Take one Karela (Bitter Melon/Bitter Gourd/Bitter Squash) and four Tomatos, make a juice of them and have it twice a day.

20. Always go for medical tests of brain, heart, liver, kidney and eyes, once in a year. For Blood Sugar, always go for HB1C and Sugar PP-every three months, in order to observe the developments. Also go for checking the numbness of the feet and take soft brush for cleaning the teeth.

21. Always take the restricted food, as mentioned above, in reasonable quantity, at least once in a week, so that inner system of the body will remain conversant with the restricted items also.

22. Change in life style and eating habbits is equally important to medicine. If we depend only on medicines and will not change our life style and eating habbits, then after sometime, medicine may stop working.

23. Change in Life Style also includes taking Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner at fixed time, Getting up early in the morning, going to bed maximum by 10 PM at night, Have a sound sleep of at least 6-8 hours a day, do not go for sleep during the day time.

24. For improving the strength in the body, Five Almonds and Five Wallnuts should be consumed. However, Cashewnuts and Raisin (Kismish) should be avoided. Further all Five types of MAGAJ are equally beneficial.(Available on the shops, where Dry Fruits are sold).

25. For Sexual & Urinary disorders, soak one teaspoon of Methi Dana in one glass of normal water, for overnight. In the morning, take out Methi Dana and consume the water, empty stomach.

26. For clearing the blockages of nerves in the entire body, take 20 gms of Garlic, cut it into smaller pieces. Boil the garlic in one glass of hot milk with one glass of water. Boil it till the point it remains only one glass of milk. Strain it and have such milk in the morning, empty stomach. Kindly remember that u should not consume anything (not even water) for next one hour. This will also clear the blockage of nerves and will also remove every type of pain in the body, caused due to blockage or other deficiency in nerves of the body.

• Hi, perfect chart must adopt this as our routine. shabbir hyderabad

• This is very good information. I will try and incorporate your suggestion in my routine.

• Too many carbs such as phulkas, curry and rice.

At least reduce your portion sizes, then have more foods with natural fat and some natural protein to give the micro-nutrients you need to stay well, and stave off hunger.

You may also like...