Advice needed please - sore knee :(

I parked up at the supermarket on the way home tonight and it had started snowing (again) so I started a little jog across the car park and almost immediately got a pain in my left knee. I've never had so much as a twinge before so it pulled me up, I was ok walking and using the clutch but I've come in now and just bent down to go to the fridge and as I straighten it's there again. I ran stepping stones and really struggled on Monday (excesses of a hen weekend) but I don't remember any issues with my knee. Should I run or rest tonight? Anything else I should be doing? Don't want to sabotage myself for the 5X50!!!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Ouch! I ended up with a knee issue week 9. I found ice helped, as well as using a light brace when I ran to keep my knee cap in-line. I take supplements to encourage cartilage development and joint lubrication. Over time, I still use a light support when I run and personally feel I needed to just build the joints up in strength. If you ever have sharp pain, stop the activity and see a professional. Looking forward to a fun 5x50 with you! Gayle

• Tonight: rest with ice or do a light walk with ice afterwards. Ice also for the bourbon and coke. ;-)

• Cheers Gayle, will rest and ice and see how it is tomorrow. School night so no alcohol sadly!

• I twinged my calf/shin a bit running round an icy carpark (waiting for husband to turn up - it was cold and dark, and I was trying to keep warm!) in January. I had a couple of days' rest, and it was then ok. Going straight into a run without warming up first, especially when it's cold, probably isn't such a good idea, when I look back.

Gayle's ice treatment sounds a good idea (especially the bit in the drink). Probably best to rest for a day or two and then take it very gently. If you have to start 5x50 at a reduced level, better that than not being able to join in at all!

• Thanks greenlegs, I'll see how it feels tomorrow and maybe just have a really slow jog tomorrow night and see how it goes. Might call by a sports shop and get a knee support as well. I've resisted going into one so far so it will be interesting to see what else I come out with :-D

• Ha ha! Perhaps Gayle has caught you in her shopping-for-running net! :D

I'd definitely recommend the MoreMile running socks - mine came yesterday, and I'm surprised just how comfy they are. Very short though - chilly ankles!

• I run because I can shop!! ;-) I must checkout these more mile socks I keep hearing about!!!!!

• Sounds like it was cold and you didn't do a warm up. Sounds like a little injury. Best to rest up for a fews days. Don't worry you won't lose your fitness.

• Thanks Mark, it's gone today :) so I'll have a gentle jog tonight

• Yippeeeee! You'll be all set for the 5x50!!!! :-) Gayle

• A gentle, easy 3.5k tonight (can't believe I just typed that...never in a million years...:)) and the knee didn't bother me once. Bring on the challenge!

• I'm having same issue. Left knee is agony. Not been out since Sunday and really missing it. Might try a run later today and see how it is. Really want to do 5x50 challenge :-(

• Good luck! Would be great if you could join us :)

You may also like...