Back on the road

After 5 weeks out of action, first with a pulled calf muscle and then 3 weeks of aggravated asthma, I finally got back out there.

I had been about to do W5R3 when I was shot in the calf (at least that's what it felt like!) so after a gap of 5 weeks I went back to W4. I managed the first 3 minutes and the first 5 minutes fine, but only managed 2 of the second 3 minutes. The final 5 minutes was OK. Felt like I was dying but it was OK.

So all in all, I'm quite pleased with today, and so glad that I made myself get out there and do it!

20 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Good for you! I had the same calf muscle issue in the middle of week 8 and after 4 weeks off and two weeks back on I have finally done W8R2 again. The one thing I have done differently is to run slower / gentler with the aim of running the times first & worry about pace second.

• Thanks Orroroo. If I went any slower I'd be going backwards!!

• Welcome back Sian and i hope things improve for you, Ed x

• Thanks Ed. The best bit was just after I'd finished ;-) xxx

• It is for me too. I ran almost 8 miles today and boy do i know it!

Ed x

• I really liked it too x x

• 8 miles?? Good grief Ed, well done. Did something in particular spur you on? ;-) xxx

• Yes i was energised for some reason x x

• ;-) x

• Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Goodness gracious! well done - hope you're ok tomorrow!

• Fair play Earl.

I'm at about the same stage you were and I'd be climbing the walls if I had to have such a long lay off. It must have taken some cajones to start again after so long.

Good luck with it, at least you know you can do Week 4 and once you're fitness is up, I'm sure you'll fly it.

• Well done you for doing it Sian. Good luck for your next one.

• Hope the next run feels better than your definition of 'OK'!

You could try one or two days of four lots of 3 or 4 minutes to ease yourself back in? Don't go and overdo it straight-away! That would be really frustrating.

All these mentions of injuries are a reminder to the rest of us to be careful.

• Needed so much Ventolin after running that my pulse rate is 126bpm. No wonder I'm feeling tense!!!

• Welcome back! Great job x

• P.s. I find there is a very fine line with the vent plain between help and heart racing, stress inducing hindrance ;) but I still need it x

• That's ventolin lol

• 7 hours later, still 120bpm!!

• Time to meditate......aaaauuuuuuummmmm

• Blimey thats one popular blog. See how much

we all encourage each other? Fantastic! Ed x

You may also like...