Anyone get despondent?

I've been loosely following the c25k plan (I could run 5k back in the early summer then had 2 months off due to injury). I'm on W5r2 which I did yesterday but I found running a real struggle. I can run 1.5miles without stopping which I'm pleased with as when I started back running 1/4mile was hard work. I'm just feeling impatient at how slowly I'm progressing. I know I shouldn't be as its better to increase gradually to reduce the risk of injury. I'm just impatient to be able to run 5k again. I'm quite fit (do a spin class twice a week and do interval training on a Concept 2 rower). It just doesn't seem to be translating into being able to run further.

I also run with my 1 year old in the pushchair and the dog, which makes it harder (the pushchair not the dog lol). My OH is away a lot so it's run with the pushchair or not at all.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I run with my dog and that is hard enough can't imagine having a pushchair as well am very impressed. I find my dog runs slowly on the outbound half of our run (slow even by my standards) then just as I think I am going to collapse he decides it is time to sprint, not really convinced he helps me! I Know it is frustrating when I have run for 30 mins and find have only done a couple of miles, I think it should be at least 3 by now, but I think we have to build our stamina first and then the distance will come. That's what I tell myself anyway! Don't get dispondent be proud of your achievement and keep going :-) Good Luck

• Thank you. It's nice to be able to talk to people who have gone through, or are going through the same things. There are a lot of people who run where I live but they all seem to run for miles.

Thankfully my dog is pretty good and generally runs at my pace. Only thing I have to watch with her is that she likes to be right by my leg and I often end up knocking her with my knee. Takes her about 10 minutes or so to realise that if she keeps a sensible distance away from me (whilst on the lead) she won't get knocked. She is sometimes a little dopey. Lol.

I went out the other Saturday morning without the pushchair, thinking "this should be easy without the extra weight" but was rather disappointed when I found it harder bizarrely.

Good luck to you too.

• I feel the same, 18 months ago I was running 10k every other day. Then I got a virus that left me with post viral fatigue and it has only been in the last 2 months that I can go running. The most frustrating thing I find myself doing is comparing how easy I use to find running for an hour and now if I run for 20 mins it can take me a day to recover. I guess it's all about building strengh and stamina again.....and learning patience.

• You are doing really well. The fact that you are still out running is brilliant especially with a pushchair.

keep going

• McGee, I feel your pain. I think it was easier when I couldn't run at all and then started because I had nothing to compare it to. I hope your runs get easier. Patience has never been my strong point! Lol.

Thank you for your great encouragement Paterson.

• Well the end of this week has been pretty rubbish running wise. I ran Tuesday and that was ok but I wasn't happy (sights too high though I think). Anyway I did my usual spinning class on Thursday and it was hard work. The instructor was intent on making our legs drop off I think. I then planned to run Friday. Well that was a complete and utter disaster. My legs were so heavy after the spinning class that it was all I could do to move myself along, let alone the pushchair too. I'm embarrassed to say I gave up this run as it was just too painful (and I still have to be wary of aggravating my injury).

I must have been tired as I fell asleep Friday night at 8pm and didn't wake til 7am when my alarm went off. I did another spinning class this morning as it was so horrendously windy and wet here I chickened out. My next run is planned for Monday so I will rest my legs tomorrow and hopefully they should be friends with me again and willing to run.

You may also like...