week 5 run 2 - history made!!!

Still can't quite believe I ran for 20 minutes non stop, especially as it's taken me 50 years to do it!!

At school I never enjoyed sports, except the gym equipment (lucky to have such a modern school) and the best I achieved was to run (well walk and talk to mates for some of it) a mile in 10.5 minutes.

Absolutely no more running (except after young boys!) until I was 42 when I joined a gym, and managed 10 minutes non stop running

Fast forward to yesterday, had come down with a cold so disappointed that my body may not be able to take it, so dosed up with flu plus then off I went. It must be the slowest ever pace anyone has ever run, but running it was. I only had a minor wobble after 3 minutes when I thought I phsycialy wouldn't do it, but turned the speed down a little on the treadmill and once I hit 5 minutes thought that if I'd done 25% then would really be disappointed if I didn't finish.

Really beginning to be bored by the music but really wanted Laura's words of encouragement so had mp3 earphone in one ear and the tv plugged into a spare set of earphones for the other ear. Worried I may look odd til I caught side of my red face and running style in the mirror and realised nothing could make me look worse!

First time on this plan i've felt a little stiff in the morning but can't wait to get to week 9 now, well doen to everyone else who got this far too, it feels great, eh!!!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Brilliant - it's hard enough when you are feeling well, to do this with a bad cold is awesome.

• Good for you for getting the job done especially when you're not feeling great! It's not a problem to take an extra days rest between run - I nearly always leave 2 days to look after my niggly knees! Best wishes for your running!

You may also like...