On the rest days in between runs, is it ok to do other forms of exercise? Can I leave 2 days between one of the runs?

I have just started the programme and I hadn't really planned my run days very well. First run was Thursday night and I see a personal trainer for an hour of intensive exercise on a Friday and then did second run on Saturday. Was in agony by the end of it so I was wondering whether it would be ok to do Tues' - run, Thurs' - run, Fri' - training and Sun' - run? So that would be 2 days between Thurs and Sun' run. Hope this makes sense!?!

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • No problems, whatever fits in. Its best to have one complete day of rest, but on your non running days then cross training (weights/resistance or swimming or yoga/pilates or cycling) would be brilliant as anything you do to improve overall strength and suppleness is going to pay dividends and help prevent injury.

• Ooooh, my trainer has me doing kettle bells, bulgarian bags, squats, lunges and anything else evil he can think of!!

I've ordered a bike so I think that this may be a slightly gentler on my elderly unfit joints and muscles.

I have also got myself some CEP compression socks as the pain in my shins was pretty intense.

• Yes to both! I did other exercise in between my runs, mostly core and strength stuff, and I always had a 2 day break each week, one of which I would completely rest and eat/drink loads!

• Hope so. I do the kettleworx kettlebell DVD programme (have done for over a year and its brilliant) on a Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Just on wk 2 of C25K and doing that on a Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Friday is a complete day off from exercise (unless you count work, looking after an ageing relative and doing the food shop)! Seems manageable so far but time will tell.

• nope, that's not a day off!!

You may also like...