Fat Boy has 25 Minutes of Fun - Really! (W7R1)

Back from my week away with work I set off on my normal route for 25 minutes of running - no walking. Not daunted at all (really looking forward to it even though my achilles is still not perfect). It seemed quite odd that here I am 18 stone of slow moving bulk looking forward to running - Laura is a star.

I ran with a water bottle, just a small one (with a hole to put your hand through to make holding it easier) it made a big difference, when Laura says you're half-way through I am normally gasping for a drink, but a mouthful of water really energised me.

Then the weirdest thing happened, I got to the end of my route but I hadn't finished my run! This is a big step as I run a sort of circular route and ended up back at home with 5 minutes of walking still to go. This means that I am covering the ground much faster than when I started and hence I had to elongate the run and walk around the village to cool down.

Being fairly large I tend to sweat a fair bit and as I wear glasses it all gets really unpleasant, I bought a light weight peaked cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes and the rain off my glasses - it is brilliant. If you too want to try one, I went for the Nike Daybreak Running Cap.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Nice one HappyDev. Being overweight myself I always look at it as being an extra achievement when I manage a long run, after all, how much more effort does it take to lug that extra weight around ?

• Happydev, sounds like a great run! It makes it so much more amazing when you see and feel results! :-)

• That sounds brilliant. I might try the hat idea to keep the rain out of my face. I wore a woolly hat today AND a hood because it was pouring down just as I finished my 5 minute warm up walk and started to run!

I agree with Chewy too.... It takes much more effort for us overweight folks as we have more to carry, and I appreciate it when my feet agree to carry me onwards. :)

I found myself further along my route this time too! I had to add an extra detour to my run already so I didn't finish running uphill. But today even with the extra detour, I ended up running my last 5 minutes uphill - I used to finish running before the uphill bit. Its a good indicator that we are getting a little faster each time, and a good feeling too! Well done HappyDev! And thanks for keeping us inspired. :-)

You may also like...