Hi Ho Silver Lining

Hi Ho Silver Lining

That's what started playing on my mp3 player on shuffle as I stepped outside to start my run this morning (I'd already done my 5 min warm up walk*) and today I had three silver linings.

1. The rain had stopped during my warm up walk and stayed off until I was 10 minutes walk from home. :-)

2. I saw three roe deer emerge from the woods and dash off over the grass when I was running through the country estate that was part of today's run :-)

3. I ran 5K for the first time!! :-) I went 5.3 km actually in 38 minutes! I did the 5 km in 35 mins, which is slower than my previous 4 km runs, but I felt a lot better for going slower. I felt I could have run a bit more, but didn't wish to push it. However, this new route left a 3 km walk home and after about 10 minutes walking, I ran another kilometre along the road, stopping when I got to the steep hill that I'm not going to attempt yet.

Today was a lovely relaxed run and I felt good during it and not just when I'd finished. I was conscious of trying to maintain a 'conversational pace' and although I was running alone, I think I would have been ok to talk to someone. My breathing is still too shallow and fast, but I wasn't panting or breathless at all and I kept on practising my belly breathing every so often.

*If it's cold enough to need a sweatshirt for my warm-up walk, I set off from the house in the opposite direction to my usual running route, walk for 3 mins, turn back and drop my sweatshirt in the garden - or if it's raining like today take it back to the house - then head out going the other direction.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Dear Swanscot - Hi ho Sliver Lining indeed "I see my sun is shining, but I won't make a fuss, though it's obvious" the great Jeff Beck. Lovely blog.

• You've just reminded me. I meant to include a link to the song for the young folks who may not have a clue what I'm talking about:

• Gosh, I never knew that was Jeff Beck, though I remember the song well. :)

Sounds like you had a lovely run today swanscot. Well done for doing 5K and enjoying it! You're well on your way to graduation. :)

• Goodness, that takes me back! :-) I'd forgotten all about this one.

Well done for 5km!

• I think I've mentioned already, the 101 Running Songs CD has a number of old cheesy rock songs! ;-)

You may also like...