Psyching up to week 5 run 3

Just back from run 2 which was hard! Week 4 and run 1 of week 5 had been suspiciously comfortable. Admittedly I've done this week's run 1 & 2 back to back in order to have a rest day tomorrow before THE BIG ONE (I go away on Thursday afternoon) but it's hard to imagine doing 20 minutes straight.

Started to get the beginnings of a stitch but did the belly breathing and took some water during the walk and managed to cut it off at the pass. The second 8 minutes I found wearing. My breathing was more laboured than it had been yesterday (when I forgot my inhaler...again). Laura told me I had just 60 seconds to go and it was every bit as long as the week 1 60 seconds had felt. I had to keep going in order not to fail in my new fancy pants (see previous post ;) )

Any advice for Thursday? I get the feeling this will be about getting the mindset right as much as the physical aspect.

3 Replies

oldest β€’ newest
  • do it, do it, do it!!

W5R3 is a great big milestone in your training - one to be conquered not feared , you've done so well to get to this point. This one is about training your brain to run for 20 mins without a break, your body can do it - you've done the work (and got some fancy pants to show off!!)!

I won't lie... its not easy but it is doable, it feels great when you get to the end. Slow it down a bit, that way you can do the distance but if you have anything left you can speed up at the end.

Good luck!

• You can do it, it is definitely mind over matter.

And slow down, far more important to finish than go too fast. Good look you'll do grand :-)

• Thanks...feeling really zapped today, must be this awful weather. Will get a good rest for tomorrow and the take it nice and easy.

You may also like...