I'm posting this here because I always see people talking about their dogs and I know a lot of you may be on diets etc.
My puppy Riff is in liver failure after accidentally eating a batch of biscuits which were made using a sugar substitute called Xylitol. It's harmless to humans and is becoming more common (you can find it in sugar free gum for example) because it is supposedly healthier. However it is extremely toxic to dogs even in small amounts.
Riff had a whole bag (250g) of the stuff but we had no clue that there would be a problem. He vomited within an hour so we assumed he had got all the biscuits out and didn't realise that this was the first symptom. Riff went untreated all night and the whole of the next morning - they need to be treated immediately.
He's stable at the moment but his chances are extremely small. So please please PLEASE be careful if you are using any diet products and check the label. And if your dog does manage to eat any just get them straight to the vets.
Sorry if it's inappropriate to post this here but I had never heard of anything like this and felt I had to warn you about the dangers.