First Park Run!!

I finally plucked up courage! My daughter is visiting from Australia (moral support) and I had the day off work so no excuses really. It's a good half an hour drive and difficult to park but so worth it!

Everyone was so friendly and welcoming, it was really nice. I started at the back and just went at a steady pace in anticipation of the imminent steep hill! It was three laps around the park and as I was struggling up the first time I thought "oh no! I can't do this three times! It's impossible!" The rest of the course was pretty flat though, so I soon recovered. However, the second time was just too much, it beat me! I walked up part way. I was so mad with myself! I picked up speed and was determined, the third time I was going to slaughter that hill! I really surprised myself, I just went on my toes, leaned into it, pumped my arms as hard as I could and got to the top! I actually passed three other struggling runners!

My lovely daughter was waiting at the finishing line so I ran as fast as I could and finished in 29 mins 11 seconds! I found out later that I was first in my age category! I am so pleased!

16 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Boy that's an amazing time for your first Parkrun. Well done!

• Thankyou! You did well too!

• Are you the person that was talking to my friend who was marshalling in Preston this morning? That hill is a bit of a killer, isn't it? I keep thinking I'll have to do a Parkrun after I graduate, but the hill is putting me off (especially the fact you have to do it three times). Brilliant time though!!! :-)

• Yes I was! Your friend is lovely! The hill was hard but don't let it put you off!

• Well done! I am considering a park run soon when hubby catches me up and we can get to 5k. I graduated last week and chuffed to bits.

• Well done! Yes go for it! I left it too long!

• Great time ! Well done :-)

• Thankyou!

• Very well done that's an excellent time - I did my first park run today as well and came in at 33mins 18 secs. :-)

• Thanks! Well done to you too!

• That is wonderful! Very impressed, I can only dream of doing it under 30 at the minute, and dont beat yourself up about walking a bit of it, lots of forums/running books recommend a walk run approach as being a faster way to finish that running really slowly especially on hilly bits! You did brilliantly.

• Aah! Thankyou so much, that's really kind!

• Well done! Great first time :) My park run is also a 30 minute drive away, but I will be doing it every month or so in the winter.

• Thanks! Good plan! I normally work on Saturday so can only go when I have a holiday.

• Fab time :)

• Thanks Ali!

You may also like...