Week 5 run 2 - not good :(

I did the first run of week 5 on Monday, and despite the heat (I went out at 2pm; it was scorching!) I had no trouble with that one - I knew I could do five minutes, and managed it 3 times with no difficulty. I was feeling positive about the second run.

Well. Misplaced optimism. It was a nightmare. I went out after work last night, and it was sooo hard. And not just mentally hard, but physically hard. I really had to push myself to get through each of the two runs. At the end of the first 8 minutes, my chest felt really tight, which is something I haven't experienced before, and I needed the full 5 minutes walk to recover. The second 8 minutes was even more of a struggle, and I really didn't think I was going to make it, my heart sank when she told me I was only at 4 minutes (but I'm very stubborn). When Laura told me to do the warm-down (cool-down?) walk, all I wanted to do was collapse on the floor. Usually I take about 30 seconds to get my breath back, and then power-walk the rest. Yesterday it was a struggle to even get back home at a plod.

Boo. Really disappointed. I didn't feel good at all afterwards. I'm definitely not ready to run for 20 minutes non-stop. I know a lot of people worry about run 3 of week 5, but I just know I am not physically ready. I could make excuses for yesterday being so hard - it was hot, I had been swimming the day before so might have been more tired - but in reality, I just wasn't really ready, my base fitness isn't quite up to it yet.

I really don't want to set myself up for failure - if I go out and can't make it, I'll probably end up running less than I did yesterday, as I don't have a watch and won't be able to push myself further knowing there's a break soon, so I'd prefer to either repeat yesterday's session a couple of times until it becomes more bearable, or to do an in-between session to my own music (eg running for 9 or 10 minutes twice with a 3 minute walk in the middle), to prepare for the third session.

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Couch to 5K community

Couch to 5K has been designed to get you off the couch and running 5km in just 9 weeks

Start today!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Sorry to read you had a hard run Svenena, who knows why some runs are harder than others... the swimming/heat (don't underestimate that one, it's the reason I'm running earlier in the morning after frying on Monday), tired after work etc it can all add up.

Sounds like a good idea to adapt the programme as you describe, I'm giving the 20 minutes a go on Friday but after previewing the music have decided to make my own play-list as I just knew in my heart of hearts I disliked some of the tracks so much it wouldn't help me achieve my best. It's a good programme, but I think the most important thing is too listen to what our bodies are telling us.

Best of luck to you, hope you'll keep blogging & let us know how you get on. :-)

• week 6 part 2 might be a good one to do, its a 10 min run 3 min walk then a 10 min run again, then maybe go back to week 5 part 3 and carry on from there?

You may also like...