Hi I have just completed week one. I feel I a... - Couch to 5K

Couch to 5K
82,763 members114,272 posts

Hi I have just completed week one. I feel I am getting better with the breathing already :-).

My concern is that my legs feel very heavy and sluggish when I am running and today my calfs felt really tight and uncomfortable. I'm going to repeat week one until I find it easier does anyone have any tips for "Loosening up my legs "any advice would be much appreciated :-)

11 Replies
oldestnewest

I use a stretching app. play.google.com/store/apps/...

If you select jogging in the menu it will talk and time you through stretching properly after a run. I like that it does all the timing for you and if I have a particular area that feels tight I can also stretch by body part.

3 likes

Sorry should have said best used post run. Static stretching isn't advisable before exercise

That's great ,thanks so much x

Lots of post run stretching is what you need. A bit of self massage is always good on calves.

Check your hydration too. Your muscles need water to recover and improve. Make sure you're drinking plenty every day. 👍😁

2 likes

Thanks for the advice x

Warm up really well... and try the strength and flex that many of us did with the C25K programme..

nhs.uk/Livewell/strength-an...

Also these knee exercises...

nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/...

Stretch well after each run too;

nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/...

No need to repeat runs..if you completed the runs.. then move on, slow and steady :)

1 like

Im afraid to move to week 2 as i feel i just about managed to complete the last few 1 minute runs and can't see myself doing 90 seconds just yet :)

1 like

Don't be... just take the next run really steadily... :) Just have faith in yourself :)

Thanks x

1 like

Lots of advice above and a whole load more in this guide to the plan healthunlocked.com/couchto5...

1 like

You may also like...