Couch to 5K
62,665 members95,452 posts

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this Week 8 Run 1

Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this Week 8 Run 1

Week 8 beckons, so up early - take a peek out of the window. Oh dear! Snow and what looks suspiciously like ice. Buckle on my armour and spurs (running kit and Arctic Monkeys), and venture cautiously out. It's a bit slippery, perhaps not a good idea to think about running. Just go for a walk...

When I reach the path where I run, it is covered in soft snow, no ice, so off I go, very slowly and carefully. It's actually OK running in the snow, so I keep going, slow and steady, this feels great. I'm so happy that I can do my run! Can't quite believe that I (notorious exercise phobe) could feel like that.

Sarah says 5 minutes to go and I feel great. Finish with a (cautious) sprint, and a bit of joyful swearing (sorry!)

Things I have learned today:

1. I like running in the cold.

2. Running in the snow cleans your trainers.

3. I can run for 28 minutes!!!

Thanks as ever to everyone here for your support and good humour. Couldn't have got this far without you! 😀😀🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️👍

23 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done! You are a proper runner, going out in those conditions! 🏃‍♀️☃️ Keep up the good work! x

2 likes

Thank you! Before I started C25K I would have taken one look out of the window and gone back to bed! How things have changed. 😀😀

3 likes

Morning, was feeling that today was going to be written off as a running day - inspired by your post so will be setting off shortly. Rather deep here so will be very slow and steady !

1 like

Be very careful, and good luck! xx

1 like

Whoop whoop dashing through the snow......dah dah da da dah dah aaah.....took it very steady and it certainly paid off.....wk 8 here I come! Thank you for the motivation x

1 like

Ha Ha! Fantastic and well done! My pleasure. Happy running! 😀👍

1 like

That's me at the moment - do I brave outside or use the treadmill , the thought of 28 mins on a treadmill though is daunting , well done for getting out

Thank you! Only go out if it's safe to run. I don't have the treadmill option, unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps). 😀😀

Lessons learned and how wonderful they are...:) Very well done you :)

You have to look into the mirror to make sure it is you who is doing this... wonderful :)

1 like

Thank you! It is me I think but a new me (or at least much improved)! 😀

Brilliant....

1 like

Your post has inspired me to go out - despite the snow - well done. I am a week 10 er so not sure what the support will be like without Laura in my ear ( am downloading the 5k+)

3 likes

Thank you! Go carefully. Hopefully I will carry on after C25K like you are doing - good luck and happy running!😀👍

Another mile stone Jo61 well done you

You will soon be on that podium 👍🏻😊

1 like

Thank you! Hard to believe but I think I can see the podium in the distance. Musn't get ahead of myself, though - pride comes before a fall etc! 😀😀

👍😂😂😂😂 "running in snow cleans your trainers"!!!! I love that! Yes it does though! 👍

Great run. Well done for getting out. 1 step closer... 😉😁💪

2 likes

Thank you so much! Unexpected benefit of the snow!

Seem to have rediscovered my enthusiasm after a difficult Week 7. Thanks as ever for your support, and happy running, you graduate you!! 😀👍

1 like

My trainers are only a few weeks old , you wouldn’t of thought so looking at them , that’s until I went out in last lot of snow , trainers are now back to muddy again, couldn’t face going out running yesterday in Snow it was bitter,

2 likes

I did feel as though I was a bit crazy going out this morning, but I did go extremely carefully and I have discovered that I enjoy running in the cold - not sure why! Hope the weather improves for you soon. x

2 likes

Marvellous! It was a revelation to me too, discovering that I like running in the snow and rain -especially after decades of hating cycling in those conditions! 😃

2 likes

I know - who knew it could be so much fun! Happy running. 😀

1 like

Tee hee 😁. Naughty giggling going on She who dares wins 💪👍😃

I was not brave enough but told myself I was saving myself from getting hurt by falling on my ass as I have a race this weekend 😃

2 likes

Very sensible! I probably was a bit mad to go out but I really wanted to run and I was very careful - just running on soft snow and avoiding any ice. Good luck with the race!! 👍👍😀

You may also like...