Couch to 5K

First Parkrun

First Parkrun

When looked out of the window at 7am and saw the glistening frost, it was do I really want to do this Parkrun or go back to bed??

4 months ago, prior to C25K, bed would have won hands down but not anymore. Off I went, with the temp in car reading -1, to Cutteslowe Park in Oxford.

I was half hour early so standing around trying to keep warm was a killer 😰

Once underway, I was soon into it but the first 2k was hard, whether that was to do with the cold or my 10K run on Thurs I don’t know but I got a second wind and finished in a respectable time considering 😊

I enjoyed the atmosphere and will certainly be doing more 😊

Happy running folks 🏃‍♀️🏃🏃‍♀️🏃

31 Replies
oldestnewest

Well done 😊its funny how we get addicted to this running malarky & how our priorities change!!! i was due to be doing my first one today but i couldnt as i am poorly...so gutted because its such a lovely day for a run too!!!

Thanks Claire. Yep, I’m totally addicted and it’s changed my life. Never thought my Motorcycle would go on the back burner in favour of running 😱😊

1 like

Impressive Ted! Another First this week ... 😊x

Thanks Jan... another First next Saturday, back to Victoria Park, where I did my graduation at the Santa Run, for a 10K race, can’t wait 😊🏃🏃

1 like

That IS a respectable time! Well done for fighting the urge to stay in bed!

So gloriously sunny today I am itching to go out for a run, but it’s my rest day, so being good and abiding by the rules. Consoled myself with a 20-min yoga routine and some dreaded planking! Run for me tomorrow (before the enslaught of predicted snow!)

Good work, Ted. x

Thanks Sadie. To see the young guns lapping you is fun to watch, at least I’m lapping everyone in bed or on the sofa 🏃🏃

Enjoy your run tomorrow 😊🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

2 likes

I want to run today too and it's my rest day!

Get out tomorrow Claire, before the weather turns 😊

I will do. Run 2of week 7 😊

Wow TedG 2 firsts in a week and impressive stats too! What a lovely week you’ve had. Inspiring for me - thanks for sharing 😊

Thanks Emma, if I can inspire folk then I’m one happy chappy 🤗

So that will be where I go for a park run then. Eventually! Not too long now though. Impressive as it is COLD but this running bug gets ya! X

Where are you from then Claire?

I'm in Woodstock so I have Blenheim which is stunning but Oxford isn't too far.

I didn’t realise they did one in Blenheim. Just looked and it’s a 8am start 😱

I’m in Eynsham so not far from you 😊

I've just looked at that. I'm not sure where they meet, not my end of Blenheim lol. Once I've picked up pace and reached 5k I might join you for a run. Your way ahead of me at the mo though lol

I was looking at Blenheim in New Zealand Claire, doh! 🙄

I’m entering the 7K run there in April though, should be fun 😊.....that’s Blenheim Palace btw 😂

I don’t mind if you want to join me on a Parkrun. I’ll run along with you, be good to have some company 😊

I tried to talk to people during the run yesterday but they were too breathless to hold a conversation.....they should’ve done C25K 😂

Have a good week 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️

1 like

🙈🤣 Lol yep a tad far from us then! Fab thank you. I will def join you, will make my first park run less daunting! I see you're training for the great North Run too. Wow! I hope you are me in a year!! 😊🏃‍♀️😊

I’m hoping the Tyne Bridge isn’t a Bridge too far.....I’ve got 6 months to find out 😊

Nice one Ted.

This cold weather is perfect running weather in my opinion, as long as you get your layers right.

1 like

Yes I'm liking the cold more than hot.

1 like

Thanks Tim, it was fine once I got going, it was the hanging about that was the killer

Yes, a very cold one Ted, well done! being a biker you should be used to the cold and layering, when I get to Parkrun I stay in the car until I need to get out for warmup excercise just before the off..😊

Thanks Dave. Yes I am used to layering, I actually used some of my bike base layers for running. Once I was running I was OK, it was trying to keep warm pre-run. I’d have stayed in the car had it not been my first run 🙄

Nicely done - I find the waiting around is the hard bit...

Very, very well done you :) x

Thanks Floss 😊

1 like

Ooh well done you and that was a very respectable time too.

The wind chill on the east coast is making it feel even colder than the temperature gauge as well ❄️

Glad you enjoyed it and here's to many more 👏

Thanks Carolyn, appreciated 😊

Great run, Ted! I am still to get to a park run, but I do have my barcode ready :)

Thanks Mike, they’re good fun....especially when the fast guys lap you 😱😊

1 like

You may also like...