Couch to 5K

I actually did 5k :D

Hello you lovely lot!

Well for the first time ever, I actually achieved 5k in a single run. I feel like I should have got here a long time ago, but since graduating, injury, busyness, weather, random stuff have all transpired to stop me running as much as I would have liked. But off I went this morning into the mist.

I was going to do about 20-25 minutes, given that my winter route is quite hilly, but it seems I'm getting used to the hills now, because after 25 minutes I felt fine, so I kept going to 30 minutes. I still felt fine, but I'd only managed 4k, though I don't feel too bad about that given the hilly route. So - I continued on, just another 5 minutes I thought, and of course at 35 minutes I checked and I was at about 4.6k, so it would have seemed rude not to do the full 5. So I did. For the first time ever I ran 5k non-stop (well apart from crossing the occasional road), and in a rather slow time of just under 38 minutes. But I did it, and it feels good! Cup of tea definitely earned.

When I think back to me starting this adventure 4 months or so ago, I never really believed I could do it. Me - the unfittest person on the planet, so be encouraged. If you're considering C25K or just starting out, this is a brilliant fun way to get fitter.

Oh - and as others have said it's not a weight loss programme, and I wasn't overweight anyway, but I have lost about half a stone through the process, and more importantly I can now do my belt up one more hole :)

Happy running everyone!

28 Replies
oldestnewest

Great news Neil 🙌🏻 Lovely to see your post. That must of been a great feeling. I remember the first time I ran 5k I was so pleased with myself and I’m still amazed every time I do it.

Like you say it’s not for weight loss but I’ve certainly found I have lost inches and people have commented on it. Have a wonderful Christmas 🎄🎅🏼🎉

2 likes

Haha yes, my boss commented asked me had I lost weight... I extolled the virtues of C25K of course, though working at a bike shop, I should be extolling the virtues of cycling really. Just a little secret, too many hills near me, cycling was too hard!!

That very first 5k is rather special isn't it? Well done!

2 likes

Yes it is, and I was surprised at doing it, and that I managed to run for nearly 40 minutes. This programme never ceases to amaze me, even after graduating!!

Fantastic Neil 😀 merry Christmas x

1 like

Thank you Shelby1973, merry Christmas to you too :)

1 like

A run to be proud of and one for the memory book.

Keep running, keep smiling.

4 likes

Definitely! And the best thing is I wasn't expecting this to be a landmark run, I was just getting out to clear my head and keep up the fitness. Hitting 5k was an unexpected but very welcome bonus. Thanks for all the support, it's really appreciated :)

Wahay thats brilliant Neil 😄...and a great way to do it, no pressure or expectation just a little bit more and see....

So pleased for you, 5k✔and one very happy chappy with a trimmer tummy😆..

Great work well done you.😊xx

2 likes

Yes indeed - another chunk of the old middle-aged spread removed I guess :) Thanks so much for your kind comments over the weeks and months.

1 like

Well done - very exciting and very encouraging. I've just come in from W5R1, and I'm buzzing, but 5K seems a bit far off at the moment, so its great to hear from those who have been through the same and reached that stupendous goal. Happy running, and happy Xmas!

1 like

Hi susanna1951, thanks for the kind comment. Week 5 - I loved that week. I think of all the runs, W5R2 was one of my favourites, but that's nothing compared to how you'll feel after run 3 of this week. It's truly amazing. But I promise, it's totally do-able.

And how do you get to 5k? One step at a time! In week 1 I couldn't see how on earth I could ever run for 90 seconds let alone the 38 minutes I did this morning, but the plan really does work. Just gradually increasing your fitness really seems to work. Go for it!

1 like

Well done Neil. That’s a great milestone ticked off and you did it right, building slowly until You felt ready!

Lovely early Christmas present to yourself🏃🏻🏃🏻🏃🏻🏃🏻🏃🏻

2 likes

I know!!! I never ever thought I'd see running achievements as something I would ever want, but now I'm really chuffed. Thanks for the support :)

Rather slow?! It sounds rather good to me! I still can't do 5k in less than 36 mins and I have done quite a few since graduating. You'll be whizzing past me in no time! 😀

1 like

Oh good grief, I don't know about that. I'm sure going to try though :) You never know, things may well get faster when I'm back on my nice flat towpath route, if it stops raining long enough for it to turn back to a path rather than an extra canal lol!

1 like

Congratulations Neil. Happy Runner Dance time. Glad to see you have managed to pick your way through the injuries to get up to 5k - well done.

Well done Neil! You've done it, and in a decent time too. What a fabulous achievements, and just in time for Christmas. Go you! 😎

Well done!! It’s such a great feeling! 😀🏃👍

Lovely! That 1st 5k is very special, and I am happy it happened that way for you, you know, feeling good and just trying for a wee bit longer. Brilliant!

Happy running and a happy Christmas to you, as well.

Sadie-runs xx

Hey well done!! I will never get there I’m sure but it doesn’t bother me...just trying to get back into it.

Well done Neil! Glad you had a great run and that it is all coming together despite injuries and other obstacles. Good to hear about the trim waist too!

Great running, Neil! A brilliant 5K Christmas gift it is! Enjoy and wish you a lot more like this one.

Very well done Neil!!! Your first 5K.... and run with style:)

That's brilliant, well done you 👏

That's fantastic Neil, fantastic. When you least expect it, it happens, bet you were chuffed though.

Way to go Neil! 😊

Well done, magic. You must be proud of yourself. I thought the psychology of it was pretty good. 👍

You may also like...