Couch to 5K

Running and new brain cells?!

Those of us who run in part to stave off the slobbering advances of the Black Dog; there's a really interesting episode of All In The Mind on iplayer here bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08v09y4 - one of the researchers explains that 'neurogenisis' (growing new brain cells in the hippocampus) is inhibited in depressed brains, and that antidepressants only work when neurogenisis is happening. And guess what increases neurogenisis in rodents, by up to 50%? Running.

I'm extrapolating that information to decide that we're all getting bigger brains by getting out there 😉 - but seriously, super interesting.

9 Replies
oldestnewest

For me, taking up running has been the single most positive lifestyle change when it comes to fending off the dark side. I'll watch that iplayer thing, sounds interesting.

3 likes

Sounds like an interesting watch...thanks 😊

1 like

So are you saying we are all big rats?

2 likes

Big rats with big brains!

Seriously I do get the great effects of running on mental health....i need more running!

1 like

So I had a brainy brown rat run across my path while running today, I shall keep running!😁

1 like

Wow! Must listen - thanks for the link!

1 like

The bad part is when the dog lies at the door and won't let you out!

Thanks for the link the_tea_fairy 8-)

1 like

Fascinating stuff...I hadn't really thought of this as an anti-Black Dog initiative but why not. The great thing about exercise is you get all the other benefits anyway. It's like learning the piano and then finding you can speak Japanese as well.

1 like

Love this analogy 😊

1 like

You may also like...