Couch to 5K
57,265 members89,798 posts

Can't run!

So she who must be obeyed stated she couldn't run (because of her knees) but wanted to do power walking and I was enlisted as pace maker.

So we've been doing this for some weeks now and it's been going well and tonight I asked her if she want's to do the virtual poppy run with me (already entered her lol) and she said but I can't run it and then wanted to know what I was laughing at.

I then explained that she was already pretty much a runner without knowing it as our last few outings have been 5k and at a pace of 9.15 per k and that our shuffling gate was really a run

26 Replies
oldestnewest

...it was nice knowing you old chap!

Hopefully your imminent death by conned Missus will not be too painful LOL

Seriously, I hope she is thrilled to discover she is a Runner and well done you also :)

6 likes

Can't wait to present her medal after our run

5 likes

Hopefully someone will take a photo :) I bet She will have a million dollar smile :)

3 likes

oh I will certainly get a photo

2 likes

This made me chuckle 🏃‍♀️🏃👍😂😂

2 likes

Yep - she's definitely a runner!

1 like

I bet you are popular! Hope you both enjoy the poppy run though 👍

2 likes

think she's secretly liking the idea

2 likes

I'm sure you could sell snow to Eskimos. I totally believe you! 😂😂😂 That's a pretty decent pace...you'll walk it!! 😉

5 likes

she's still in denial lol

1 like

In that case you're in trouble! Either that or you could show her the sentence where it says you can, "...run, jog or walk." I preferred your sales pitch if I'm honest though. 😀

1 like

Ah, good for her, but we'll done to you for encouragement Roly 😊

2 likes

Superb... well done you.... You will have a great time... husband is walking our virtual Poppy Run next week and I shall run it...:) I booked him in and then told him :) After 44 years of marriage.. he wasn't too surprised :)

4 likes

think secretly she's quite chuffed

1 like

I bet she is... lovely man :)

1 like

Im am so so impressed ! Power walking is hard work. It IS lower impact though so she who knows is right, power walking is a better option for her, probably. Mind you there are some very fast power walkers, would beat me when I run no problem! In fact at my local park run an older lady power walks every week, and is always well up the field at the end!

4 likes

I keep old floss's mantra of feet kissing the ground implemented to help keep impact down

1 like

You are so sneaky👍 Have you signed any of us for anything that we ought to be training for? Just asking, as I was recently reading about the worldwide 7 marathons in 7 days... if my registration documents appear I know who to blame... but hoping you picked up the £30000 entrance fees💷💷💷💷

3 likes

You never know what might drop through your door lol

1 like

C25K by stealth........... that's a new one, rolysmate

3 likes

less of the mental anguish and worries about what the next run is lol

Am I correct in thinking that 'power walking' and gentle jogging go at about the same speed, roughly 12 or 13 minutes a kilometre!?

think it will vary quite a lot, we were power walking at aprox 9.15 per k and my running pace is about 7.15 per k

correction:- that should have been 8 or 9 per k, anyway, thanks for the reply Rolysmate, I was out a brisk walk just this morning and a man passed me running but not much faster than I was walking. I will need to get back to week 1 again as I have neglected running recently.

1 like

Good luck with the run. So nice your support for her. That is a good pace and good to know that there is something for everyone in 0-5k. My sister did power-walking regularly for a number of years. And she was able to run 10 miles in a charity race in her mid-fifties with little real preparation because she was already so fit. Definitely something to keep in mind for those of us with joint issues.

1 like

She's also my best pal

You may also like...