Couch to 5K

W9 runs - nearly there but not quite ready to graduate 😕

It would be great to sail through graduation this week, but the 30 min runs are just out of my reach at the moment. I'm very close, but I'm needing a couple of sneaky pauses to keep me going - ostensibly to check the time on my Fitbit or to put on/take off my waterproof, but actually ...

So I've decided to stop thinking about graduation and to focus on consolidating at the level I'm at. I think I'll be able to run 30 mins comfortably before too long.

My plan is -

To keep running x 3 every week, aiming for 30 mins

To get to know myself better as a runner, to improve my confidence and to make peace with the what-on-earth-do-you-think-you're-doing-at-63 gremlin which is still nipping away in my head

To keep improving my strength and stamina - I'm already very happy about my improved fitness 🙂

To experiment with new routes, apps etc

To figure out the whole winter running thing, and how/where to run on dark days when I'm working

And somewhere along the way I'm determined to collect that shiny badge!

9 Replies
oldest • newest

Go for it! You are amazing 😄

1 like

Post graduation just continue to run 3x 30 minutes or even 2x shorter/faster runs and one longer run/30 minutes.

That would help build your fitness/stamina levels.

If you've reached Week 9 then do the runs IF you are comfortable with them, only you can decide if you are ready for 30 minutes non-stop running.

2 likes

Sounds like you're nearly there, maybe slow down, and then slow down a bit more when you feel you need a break .

Keeping the three times a week thing going sounds sensible, and I'm sure you'll get there in time.

Good luck. 👍🏽

1 like

Helpful advice, thank you 🙂

This is your journey... and you do it your way.... but... and only if you choose.. you could use the runs as part of your plan.

Slow down a bit... and when you come to the ," take your waterproof off" bit, just slow down, even more and carry on :)

Pretend they are not Week 9 runs... and just do them... the only way I managed my first 10K, was to run 5K, I felt fine and thought.. oh, I will just run another 5K.. I had to pretend it was not 10K... it worked for me :)

healthunlocked.com/bridgeto...

You are going to keep on running and you are going to be brilliant..maybe just have a go :) I and all the others will be right there with you... but your choice:) Keep us posted please:)

1 like

I think pretending they're not week 9 runs is the key for me. Many thanks for your encouragement 👍👍

1 like

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep practicing and I'm sure you'll succeed. 👍

1 like

Thank you for posting this - I feel like I am in the same boat. I did my last week 9 run a couple of weeks ago but didn't feel like I did it in a way that made me feel I could claim my graduate badge or in a way that made me feel proud of myself. I can run comfortably for 20 minutes but after that start to allow myself to take longer than I need to when crossing roads and the last thing I want to do after working so hard is feel like I'm cheating myself. I know I can run for 30 minutes without stopping because I have done it before but for some reason I can't achieve it at the moment. I'm still trying to get out three times a week and set out aiming to run for the full 30 minutes. I know I will get there and then I will claim my graduate badge with pride but until then I will carry on at my own pace, under my own steam.

Thanks Runn for this reply, it’s encouraging to know that someone else is having a similar experience at the end of the programme 🙂 I’m feeling quite liberated as a result of ditching the app & time checks, which I was finding de-motivating on these longer runs - the ‘omg surely I must have run for more than 15 mins by now’ gremlin was working overtime! So now I’m running a route that takes a little over 30 mins and not thinking about time or checking my watch during the run at all. Seems to be working for me so far and much less stressful! I hope your running week is going well 🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏼‍♀️

1 like

You may also like...